Kamala Harris stops short of accepting Biden's apology: "We cannot rewrite history"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sen. Kamala Harris said that she applauds former Vice President Joe Biden's apology on his comments about his ability to be civil and work with segregationist senators in the 1970s, but stopped short of absolving him of all of his past remarks on issues of race.

The California Democrat said a "point of disagreement" between the two still remains when it comes to desegregation busing.

"We cannot rewrite history about what segregationists were doing at that time on a number of issues including opposing busing."

Though Biden initially doubled down on his comments, he said on Saturday during a campaign speech in Sumter, South Carolina -- where black voters made up about 61% of the Democratic primary electorate in 2016 -- that he regrets making the statements in June. "Was I wrong a few weeks ago to somehow give the impression to people that I was praising those men who I successfully opposed time and again? Yes, I was. I regret it," Biden said in part. "I'm sorry for any of the pain or misconception I may have caused anybody."

Kamala Harris stops short of fully accepting Joe Biden's apology: 'We cannot rewrite history' - CNNPolitics

Jan 2012
SoCal
The fact that she stops short is the difference between her and a Barack Obama, though admittedly once Obama was elected her removed the same mask he was hiding behind and made the same sort of statements.

Before he was elected though he put good ol' Joe on the ticket even after he was called clean and articulate.

Obama at least hid his radicalism. Harris has it on full display.

Jun 2014
United States
Kamala Harris stops short of accepting Biden's apology: "We cannot rewrite history"

Well, we can, but we probably shouldn't. Back when Biden was standing in opposition to federally mandated forced busing to achieve racial desegregation of public schools, he was joined in that position of opposition by 91% of the black electorate. Of course, that was so long ago that many young people wouldn't remember.