Kamala Harris Was Not a ‘Progressive Prosecutor’

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
***************************************************************************************************************

Most troubling, Ms. Harris fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions that had been secured through official misconduct that included evidence tampering, false testimony and the suppression of crucial information by prosecutors.

Ms. Harris was criticized in 2010 for withholding information about a police laboratory technician who had been accused of “intentionally sabotaging” her work and stealing drugs from the lab. After a memo surfaced showing that Ms. Harris’s deputies knew about the technician’s wrongdoing and recent conviction, but failed to alert defense lawyers, a judge condemned Ms. Harris’s indifference to the systemic violation of the defendants’ constitutional rights.

Ms. Harris contested the ruling by arguing that the judge, whose husband was a defense attorney and had spoken publicly about the importance of disclosing evidence, had a conflict of interest. Ms. Harris lost. More than 600 cases handled by the corrupt technician were dismissed.

In 2015, she opposed a bill requiring her office to investigate shootings involving officers. And she refused to support statewide standards regulating the use of body-worn cameras by police officers.

In 2015, when the case reached the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, Ms. Harris’s prosecutors defended the conviction. They pointed out that Mr. Gage, while forced to act as his own lawyer, had not properly raised the legal issue in the lower court, as the law required.

The appellate judges acknowledged this impediment and sent the case to mediation, a clear signal for Ms. Harris to dismiss the case. When she refused to budge, the court upheld the conviction on that technicality. Mr. Gage is still in prison serving a 70-year sentence.
Opinion | Kamala Harris Was Not a ‘Progressive Prosecutor’

***************************************************************************************************************

I would like to discuss Kamala's record. To me she is a monster that should disqualify her from office. She is a sociopath and her history should make democrats push her as far far away as they can. It is disgusting what this woman has done and the notion she is a presidential candidate boggles the mind.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
**********************************************************************************************************

That case is not an outlier. Ms. Harris also fought to keep Daniel Larsen in prison on a 28-year-to-life sentence for possession of a concealed weapon even though his trial lawyer was incompetent and there was compelling evidence of his innocence. Relying on a technicality again, Ms. Harris argued that Mr. Larsen failed to raise his legal arguments in a timely fashion. (This time, she lost.)

She also defended Johnny Baca’s conviction for murder even though judges found a prosecutor presented false testimony at the trial. She relented only after a video of the oral argument received national attention and embarrassed her office.

**********************************************************************************************************

Those that support her, what say you?

May 2007
Houston, Texas

That case is not an outlier. Ms. Harris also fought to keep Daniel Larsen in prison on a 28-year-to-life sentence for possession of a concealed weapon even though his trial lawyer was incompetent and there was compelling evidence of his innocence. Relying on a technicality again, Ms. Harris argued that Mr. Larsen failed to raise his legal arguments in a timely fashion. (This time, she lost.)

She also defended Johnny Baca’s conviction for murder even though judges found a prosecutor presented false testimony at the trial. She relented only after a video of the oral argument received national attention and embarrassed her office.

Those that support her, what say you?
I don't agree with you in the least, but I don't care enough what you think to bother having a conversation with you, too much drama.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
My prediction is that most people do not have anywhere near the legal understanding or attention span to scrutinize her legal work as a prosecutor and use that as a basis for why to support or not support her political aspirations. The strategy involved in that kind of work makes it hard for an ordinary person to clearly see the difference between "good" and "bad" conduct as an attorney. Worse, most people who have any interest in politics are way too partisan to even bother critically thinking about the nature of the campaign proposals, so they're definitely not going to pay attention to the nuance's of a prosecuting attorney's tactics/strategy/conduct.

It would be like trying to attack Rand Paul based on the medical malpractice allegations/suits that were brought against him back in the day.

Jun 2014
United States

Who said she was?

She was a prosecutor. If you hold animus toward prosecutors, that's your problem.

Simple solution? Don't vote for her.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I don't agree with you in the least, but I don't care enough what you think to bother having a conversation with you, too much drama.

You cared enough to try to derail my thread with your trolling garbage.

Why wont you people look at her objectively? Read the article and tell me you are cool with her actions as a prosecutor.

Last edited:
Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

Who said she was?

She was a prosecutor. If you hold animus toward prosecutors, that's your problem.

Please read the article. You folks will do anything to avoid discussing her.

I am actually interested in @Ian Jeffrey ’s view. And if there are any other lawyers here for thier take as well.

Some of her actions to me are indefensible, and you folks are skipping over them with appeals to authority fallacies instead of discussing the topic.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

Who said she was?

I know. I suspect for the next 12 months we are going to have a lot of threads on the D candidates posted by people who would never vote for them in the first place.

Like that really going to change the mind of anyone who is going to vote for anyone but Trump.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I know. I suspect for the next 12 months we are going to have a lot of threads on the D candidates posted by people who would never vote for them in the first place.

Like that really going to change the mind of anyone who is going to vote for anyone but Trump.

Please dont derail my thread. Why dont any of you want to discuss her?

I am a huge proponent of prison reform amd justice reform and shes close to enemy #1 lets discuss the topic without derailing.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Please dont derail my thread. Why dont any of you want to discuss her?
I'm not derailing your thread. Simply pointing out that I highly doubt you would ever vote for her, so why do you care? It's not like threads like this are going to change anybody's minds who might vote for her including me.

No politician is perfect. Whatever she did before she ran for elected could not possibly be any worse than what is going on currently under the Trump Party.