Kamala Harris

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Agreed, Biden probably has a better idea about predicting a national campaign than the others (who have not yet run nationally). I suspect he may not want to run ... at 76, he's getting up there in years, anyway.
Yea I think he will wait a lot longer to announce to see who else runs unless he already knows he wont run. It would be hard to understand how a VP with such huge popularity ratings would lose a primary. His age is obviously a huge downside.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
That makes it very important that candidates not cater to that element as a substitute for sound solutions to real problems.
There is a distinction between campaigning for votes and actually doing something once elected. Remember, if getting elected is not your #1 priority, the rest of your priorities will not matter.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That makes it very important that candidates not cater to that element as a substitute for sound solutions to real problems. I think that is what makes some of the candidates so insulting - the decision to imitate or cater to those who may not be as issue focused or those who have a negative agenda. I get it that Trump won that way but anyone who imitates him does not have the element of surprise now that the population sees the results. You can't try to be Trump and beat Trump imo.
One of the things that I heard from Kamala that impressed me was when asked "how will you deal with Trump?" She responded, "I will deal with the voters and not him, he doesnt elect me the voters do." I really liked that. Those that get down in the gutter with Trump leave the voters with a sour taste. If she stays above the fray and let people know her she will do well.

Oct 2013
USA
There is a distinction between campaigning for votes and actually doing something once elected. Remember, if getting elected is not your #1 priority, the rest of your priorities will not matter.
I agree on that distinction however winning dims if any Democratic candidate runs on being the Democratic version of Trump. Those who voted for Trump, stayed home or voted third party may just as easily vote Trump back in office if the choice is the original Trump or a Trump imitation bent on being the blue version. The voting districts are too even to take that chance. I do think now that the results of catering to one party is known voters will be looking for candidates to represent all constituents not just one party. That doesn't mean the highest office candidates can't commit to real issues and solutions or avoid debunking Trump. We'll see how this goes in the Art of Politics. ;)

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I agree on that distinction however winning dims if any Democratic candidate runs on being the Democratic version of Trump. Those who voted for Trump, stayed home or voted third party may just as easily vote Trump back in office if the choice is the original Trump or a Trump imitation bent on being the blue version. The voting districts are too even to take that chance. I do think now that the results of catering to one party is known voters will be looking for candidates to represent all constituents not just one party. That doesn't mean the highest office candidates can't commit to real issues and solutions or avoid debunking Trump. We'll see how this goes in the Art of Politics. ;)
Thats a good point and it shows why this primary season will be tricky. As we just saw with midterms tons of right leaning women and moderate women crossed the aisle and voted for democrats to keep a check on Trump. They wont vote for the democratic version of Trump. But they also likely wont vote for anyone too far left. So its also going to be a balancing act. Quite a few states now have open primaries so many of these voters will likely cross over to vote for a democrat unless Trump has a challenger. It could shift the balance of who will win in many states.

Oct 2013
USA
One of the things that I heard from Kamala that impressed me was when asked "how will you deal with Trump?" She responded, "I will deal with the voters and not him, he doesnt elect me the voters do." I really liked that. Those that get down in the gutter with Trump leave the voters with a sour taste. If she stays above the fray and let people know her she will do well.
I like her best when her legal mind is on display and the hearings and confirmations are a sight to see. She is held up somewhat by the republican leadership but what does come through is her knowledge. She is down to earth but well equipped with the right tools. The word 'impressive' comes to mind. I agree with you that getting down in the gutter leaves a sour taste. With her background she should be able to handle Trump, just as Obama countered the opposition with some ease. Maybe it is that political experience mixed with their legal backgrounds?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I like her best when her legal mind is on display and the hearings and confirmations are a sight to see. She is held up somewhat by the republican leadership but what does come through is her knowledge. She is down to earth but well equipped with the right tools. The word 'impressive' comes to mind. I agree with you that getting down in the gutter leaves a sour taste. With her background she should be able to handle Trump, just as Obama countered the opposition with some ease. Maybe it is that political experience mixed with their legal backgrounds?
I just worry that if too many enter the race someone who will be less likely willing to get down and dirty will lose because they are overridden by someone loud or yelling. Imagine if there are 18 candidates up there and Bernie starts yelling? How do the other 17 get attention? lol There is a risk that at least some voters do want somebody that can get in the gutter with Trump. Its why Avenatti had such a following early on, he played the gutter game.

Oct 2013
USA
I just worry that if too many enter the race someone who will be less likely willing to get down and dirty will lose because they are overridden by someone loud or yelling. Imagine if there are 18 candidates up there and Bernie starts yelling? How do the other 17 get attention? lol There is a risk that at least some voters do want somebody that can get in the gutter with Trump. Its why Avenatti had such a following early on, he played the gutter game.
I think there are two possible candidates who may be able to take Trump on with facts and they are Kamala and possibly Biden thus far. Kamala is just my preferred candidate currently. I am however concerned that voters in the primaries may focus on candidates who suck up the air in the room by running on Hate-Trump or party centric pipe dreams rather than making sense so I think your point is a valid concern.

One of the problems I had with Hillary is she ran defensively and missed the offensive game without driving home the reality of her solutions. That is the thing I fear is a candidate who is too nice or too angry. My kingdom for a intelligent candidate who can drive some reality home...

On a positive note voters did the job in the mid-terms so we'll see if sanity rules. ;)