Kansas Boy With Special Needs Forced to Remove Varsity Letter Jacket

Nov 2014
Buffalo
A Kansas mom is outraged after her son, who has special needs, was forced by his school to remove his varsity letter jacket.
Kansas Boy With Special Needs Forced to Remove Varsity Letter Jacket - NBC News
Jolinda Kelley of Wichita, Kansas, bought a varsity letter for her son Michael's letter jacket after he was recognized for participation for playing basketball, but she says when Michael wore it to school he was asked to take it off...
They teach children, they teach them that all people are equal and doesn't matter what skin color or how much money they have!
And this is their so-called "equality?"
She said Michael took off the jacket and was given a girl's sweatshirt to wear instead.
He's playing basketball like others, why he can't wear same clothes?
Also, if they don't wanna see him wearing such clothes, why they didn't banned him from the game?

Reactions: 3 people
Mar 2015
jamaaaaaicaaa
First problem - why did mom buy the jacket if the kid was not eligible to wear it? And a letter?
Second problem - why would another parent complain? What pettiness!

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2015
The Antipodes
It's silly...but wearing a varsity letter does mean it was presented to you by the team and not merely sewn on by your mum. Both made mistakes....

Jun 2006
Vancouver
What the fuck is a varsity letter?

Never mind. I looked it up. Next question, did this story happen in 1910? Or in an Archie comic?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Mar 2015
The Antipodes
What the fuck is a varsity letter?

Did she buy it in 1840?
It means "you made the team". It's given to you once the coach well and truly sees you are a good player. "Junior Varsity"...or "JV"...is what any undistinguished team member is referred to...hence, the ISIS comment.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Sorry - I'm an asshole. let the kid wear whatever he wants. Who in God's name has time for this shit.

If my kid is in a school that has "varsity letters" I'm suing them for gross negligence, and utterly wasting his education - not trying to get him one.

There's a billion kids out there learning multiple languages, mathematics, science and programming and North Americans are absolutely determined to give our children an orgy of sex, sports and prom dresses, lavishing attention and praise on the dumb and snide, so they can spend the following 40 years cleaning the toilets of the educated, productive foreigners they might be lucky enough to find work for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
It means "you made the team". It's given to you once the coach well and truly sees you are a good player. "Junior Varsity"...or "JV"...is what any undistinguished team member is referred to...hence, the ISIS comment.
Way back when I was in high school, the administration split the difference.

Anyone could buy a team Letterman's jacket. Those that actually lettered in a particular sport or arts or academic achievement got a letter that had not only the school mascot patch on the letter, but a patch that designated the sport or activity in which the student "lettered". A football patch or basketball patch say, or a lyre patch for outstanding musical achievement.

Other students, who wanted a school logo jacket could only get the letter with the school mascot patch.

In any case, the school provided the letter, with proper sport or other patch, as recommended by the particular sports coach or music teacher, or whatever. Everyone else had to request a school letter/mascot patch through the school, and pay for it on their own.

Seems like that would be a fair alternative in this case.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Sorry - I'm an asshole. let the kid wear whatever he wants. Who in God's name has time for this shit.

If my kid is in a school that has "varsity letters" I'm suing them for gross negligence, and utterly wasting his education - not trying to get him one.

There's a billion kids out there learning multiple languages, mathematics, science and programming and North Americans are absolutely determined to give our children an orgy of sex, sports and prom dresses, lavishing attention and praise on the dumb and snide, so they can spend the following 40 years cleaning the toilets of the educated, productive foreigners they might be lucky enough to find work for.
This is the equivalent of someone wearing a rank or award not earned. Varsity letters are an award.

Way back when I was in high school, the administration split the difference.

Anyone could buy a team Letterman's jacket. Those that actually lettered in a particular sport or arts or academic achievement got a letter that had not only the school mascot patch on the letter, but a patch that designated the sport or activity in which the student "lettered". A football patch or basketball patch say, or a lyre patch for outstanding musical achievement.

Other students, who wanted a school logo jacket could only get the letter with the school mascot patch.

In any case, the school provided the letter, with proper sport or other patch, as recommended by the particular sports coach or music teacher, or whatever. Everyone else had to request a school letter/mascot patch through the school, and pay for it on their own.

Seems like that would be a fair alternative in this case.
When I was in school, like you anyone could buy the jacket with school mascot but the varsity letters had to be awarded by the school.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
According to the article he's on the school basketball team. The "special needs" team, but still the school team. It's hard to tell from the NBC article, am I misreading it?

The school has decided that the para team is not the real team?

I don't know. Paralympians get a hold medal, doesn't mean they beat Una Kim.