Kareem Abdul Jabbar Writes Blistering Open Letter to NFL Owners

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Kareem Abdul Jabbar Writes Blistering Open Letter to NFL Owners Criticizing Them for Implementing Anthem Policy

He has all the best words.

I don't see the kneeling stopping any time soon - nor should it. They have the right to do as they wish while the anthem is being played. They are not actually "owned" by the owners.

[FONT=&amp]We all are entitled to our opinions, but when those opinions translate into actions that affect the whole community at large, we have a responsibility to scrutinize those opinions, to hold them to a higher standard of reason. Denying your players their freedom to express their concerns sends a clear message that you don’t value your black players’ values. You’re telling them that they must abide by your white perception of social justice even though you have no experience with the kind of institutional injustice that robs their community of lives, hope and a future. You are owners in that you own the franchise, but you don’t own the players or their hearts and minds. [/FONT]

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
This is exactly right.

In May, you implemented a childish policy about how grown men must respond to the national anthem: a player can stay in the locker room during the anthem, but if he takes the field and then protests, the team and the player can be fined. Oh, Dear Owners. You stood at the precipice of history tasked with deciding whether to choose the principles of the US Constitution over profits of commerce, patriotism over pandering, morality over mob mentality, promoting social justice over pushing beers. Sadly, you blinked. Courage, it seems, is expected only of players.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
It is a private organization. It would be no different than violating the rules on the field.
As far as the government is concerned, they have every right to kneel during the national anthem. The owners have ever right to punish them if they choose to. I have never argued that point.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
It is a private organization. It would be no different than violating the rules on the field.
That's ridiculous.

They have every right to kneel. The owners and/or the league overall have every right to set an expectation and then discipline the players for kneeling.

Nov 2013
NY
That's ridiculous.

They have every right to kneel. The owners and/or the league overall have every right to set an expectation and then discipline the players for kneeling.
And that's one of the problems of this country, this "land of the free".
I cannot decide in what color i want to paint my house, but have to abide by the rules and preferred colors of some home owner association.. the "land of the free", needs to regulate house colors.

And a private company has the right to limit or penalize someone for executing their constitutional right to freedom of speech.
It's absurd.