Kirk Cameron and his best buddy Charles Darwin

Sep 2005
This is really, really fricking weird.

[youtube]oM0oBuhTLRI[/youtube]

The ex Mike Seaver is now an evangelical Christian who is has decided to take it upon himself to give away 50,000 copies of Darwin's The Origin of Species to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Charles' original publishing. He's giving away this book at college campuses around the country.

This isn't as straightforward as it might seem - since the book is now Public Domain they have rights to distribute it -- in additiono distributing it they've also taken it upon themselves to write a 50 page introduction -- including allegations such as Darwin being a racist and misogynistic. Also, he "exposes" an "undeniable connection with Adolph Hitler".

1. Could this be in any way effective and ...

2. Is there anything that could be done to prevent folks from bastardizing these books from their original intent? I mean I guess I'm all for freedom of expression or whatever, but this seems somewhat an unethical toeing of the intent of making the books public domain in the first place.

I guess the simple answer is that someone needs to beat the everlasting fuck out of him.

Jun 2007
[quote name='PoliticalHotwire' date='22 September 2009 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1253671209' post='25425']

This is really, really fricking weird.

[youtube]oM0oBuhTLRI[/youtube]

The ex Mike Seaver is now an evangelical Christian who is has decided to take it upon himself to give away 50,000 copies of Darwin's The Origin of Species to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Charles' original publishing. He's giving away this book at college campuses around the country.

This isn't as straightforward as it might seem - since the book is now Public Domain they have rights to distribute it -- in additiono distributing it they've also taken it upon themselves to write a 50 page introduction -- including allegations such as Darwin being a racist and misogynistic. Also, he "exposes" an "undeniable connection with Adolph Hitler".

1. Could this be in any way effective and ...

2. Is there anything that could be done to prevent folks from bastardizing these books from their original intent? I mean I guess I'm all for freedom of expression or whatever, but this seems somewhat an unethical toeing of the intent of making the books public domain in the first place.

I guess the simple answer is that someone needs to beat the everlasting fuck out of him.

[/quote]Why is that the simple answer?

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
[quote name='Heel31ok' date='23 September 2009 - 04:44 AM' timestamp='1253677452' post='25502']

Why is that the simple answer?

[/quote]

You're right, that's a little harsh.

Let's simply retaliate.

Who wants to start writing the new introduction to the Bible?

While at it, let's add excellent commentary on the bottom of every page, and a few graphic images here and there.

Jun 2008
I don't like this. I think people should be able to come their own conclusion when reading a book. I have the Darwin book, and it's the most boring thing I've ever read. He doesn't say humans came from apes. If you love to read in detail about the colors of chicken feathers, then this is the book for you. Mike Seaver is not on my short list of great minds.

I volunteer for the beating the everlasting fuck out of him. Just tell me where and when.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
[quote name='Mr. Knight' date='23 September 2009 - 05:15 AM' timestamp='1253697322' post='25671']

I don't like this.

[/quote]

I love this.

It just puts the lunatic fundamentalists on display for the world to see, though I don't adhere to the beliefs of evolution & Darwinism.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
[quote name='Mr. Knight' date='23 September 2009 - 05:53 AM' timestamp='1253699587' post='25680']

Can I write a forward to his forward and condem him for hanging out with a guy named "Boner" on Growing Pains?

[/quote]

I'm sure the homophobic, republican war jesus (the blonde surfer one) forgave him for that.