Kissinger, Paulson Warn US-China Trade War Could Cause Actual World War

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
"BEIJING: Former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger warned on Thursday (Nov 21) that an armed conflict could break out between the United States and China if they fail to resolve their trade war.

*Skip*

But because conflicts between the US and China have always been "passive", he warned there is no framework for Washington to deal with Beijing as a "military power".

If the two sides keep seeing "every issue in the world in terms of conflict" with each other, it could be "dangerous for mankind", he said.

Kissinger said the trade negotiations were just a "substitute" for more substantial talks about conflicts between the two, including tensions over Hong Kong.

When asked if unrest in the semi-autonomous region of China could be the "flashpoint" for a new Cold War, Kissinger said he hoped the "highly emotional" issue would be "settled by negotiations."

In a later session at the forum, former US treasury secretary Henry Paulson said he believed the US and China "are now headed in precisely the wrong direction."

He warned of growing barriers on visas and the movement of people, restrictions on trade and technology, and that the ongoing economic tensions would "leave our countries and the entire world worse off."

"When the next crisis comes, and it will come because financial crises do come, we will regret it big time if the world's two biggest economies do not have the mechanisms to cooperate," said Paulson, who was treasury secretary under former president George W. Bush."

Read more at US-China trade war could spark real war: Kissinger

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
If I understand the article, Kissinger makes two important points. The U.S. never developed the diplomatic apparatus to deal with China as it did with the U.S.S.R.

And economic conflicts between us and them are inevitable, likely to be severe, and are historically the single greatest trigger for military conflict.

My point is, it is extremely dangerous to allow a stupid buffoon to interfere in our relations with the Chinese.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
If I understand the article, Kissinger makes two important points. The U.S. never developed the diplomatic apparatus to deal with China as it did with the U.S.S.R.

And economic conflicts between us and them are inevitable, likely to be severe, and are historically the single greatest trigger for military conflict.

My point is, it is extremely dangerous to allow a stupid buffoon to interfere in our relations with the Chinese.
It is also beyond stupidity for Trump supporters not to realize the only goal here is to get the Chinese to agree to stop (or at least cut down on) intellectual property theft, which means there will be less risk to people wanting to outsource their labor to China. This is a detriment to American workers and will cause them to lose more jobs, not less.

That said, Kissinger was one of the architects of opening China up to American business interests so fuck that guy.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
It is also beyond stupidity for Trump supporters not to realize the only goal here is to get the Chinese to agree to stop (or at least cut down on) intellectual property theft, which means there will be less risk to people wanting to outsource their labor to China. This is a detriment to American workers and will cause them to lose more jobs, not less.

That said, Kissinger was one of the architects of opening China up to American business interests so fuck that guy.
Yeah one can think it's a postivie or a negative but for Kissinger it's a conflict of interest.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
And Paulson was the guy who oversaw the bank bailouts, 800 billion and he immediately said "no stipulations as to what I do with the money".
Yes, I know. I'm not a Kissinger fan, either, but still.

Both men are undeniably talented.

Mar 2019
TN
China has about 300 nukes. USA has about 7000.

China has 1.4 BILLION people. We have 300 million. I've said for years now we need to be concentrating on renewable and sustainable energy and other infrastructure. Sooner or later, like it or not, want it or not, we WILL be in conflict with China and probably India who is right behind them in terms of population, economic growth and their emerging middle classes. We are 5% of the world's population but we consume almost 25% of the world's oil. That is just unsustainable. We also consume a disproportionate amount of other rare resources. We need to be making a concerted effort to shift to green energy and renewable. It won't be cheap or easy, but the alternative is too horrific to even consider.

Just because we don't like these men for their politics and policies doesn't mean they're WRONG in this one.

Reactions: Friday13

CtC

Mar 2019
California
China has 1.4 BILLION people. We have 300 million. I've said for years now we need to be concentrating on renewable and sustainable energy and other infrastructure. Sooner or later, like it or not, want it or not, we WILL be in conflict with China and probably India who is right behind them in terms of population, economic growth and their emerging middle classes. We are 5% of the world's population but we consume almost 25% of the world's oil. That is just unsustainable. We also consume a disproportionate amount of other rare resources. We need to be making a concerted effort to shift to green energy and renewable. It won't be cheap or easy, but the alternative is too horrific to even consider.

Just because we don't like these men for their politics and policies doesn't mean they're WRONG in this one.
The USA is always right.