Koch brothers plan on funding moderate democrats against progressives in primaries

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting..

The Koch brothers-backed group Americans for Prosperity will start funding Democratic candidates who support their agenda against more progressive primary challengers, according to an internal memo obtained by CNBC.

Americans for Prosperity CEO Emily Seidel said in the memo to employees and activists that the group is ready to “support sitting legislators who lead by uniting with others to pass principled policy and get good things done” regardless of whether they are “Republican, Democrat, Independent or otherwise.” The group has historically only backed Republicans running for office.

The memo comes after the group pushed back against the way President Trump and Republican lawmakers handled immigration issues and tariffs, CNBC reported. The memo outlines four new PACs that the group will launch to contribute directly to candidates, including “Uniting for Immigration Reform” and “Uniting for Free Trade.”

“If you are a Democrat and stand up to [Senator] Elizabeth Warren to corral enough votes for financial reform that breaks barriers for community banks and families, you’re darn right we will work with you."

The Koch network has also told donors that it will not work to help re-elect President Trump in 2020, the Washington Post reported earlier this year, noting that the move will “deprive the president of the assistance of one of the most sophisticated grass-roots operations on the right in what is expected to be a hard-fought reelection battle.”

But some analysts are concerned about Koch influence entering the Democratic Party, especially ahead of a crucial election.

Koch-funded super PAC may back Dem incumbents against progressives

Jul 2015
Florida
Was just about to post about this.

This is my favorite line.

One source described as “familiar with the Mercers’ thinking” said that the family is upset that Trump has not provided them with the return on their investment they had been expecting.

Uh oh, have they written Bannon off their Christmas card list too or are they shoving money his way for a RW rebellion in Europe?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

This is my favorite line. Uh oh, have they written Bannon off their Christmas card list too??

One source described as “familiar with the Mercers’ thinking” said that the family is upset that Trump has not provided them with the return on their investment they had been expecting.
The Koch bros dont like Trump at all. I think this is the problem a lot of democrats havent considered. Trump is so unpopular with traditional types of GOPers that they might switch over to the democrats. Which will pull that party further right. I think its possible unless we see a more back to normal republican leadership after Trump is gone.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
From the link:

“The Kochs and other libertarian billionaires have probably realized by now that centrist Democrats — self-described liberals who support tax cuts, deregulating industries, and privatizing public services — are more reliable allies than ambitious and popular progressives with a concrete political agenda,” he wrote. “The Joe Bidens of the party are much more sympathetic to the plight of the super-rich than the Elizabeth Warrens, after all.”

Pretty much sums it up.

Jul 2015
Florida
The Koch bros dont like Trump at all. I think this is the problem a lot of democrats havent considered. Trump is so unpopular with traditional types of GOPers that they might switch over to the democrats. Which will pull that party further right. I think its possible unless we see a more back to normal republican leadership after Trump is gone.
Scarborough was on this AM (MSNBC) and stated and then repeated it, that his friends, family just say, 'he EXHAUSTS us'.

Man, I gotta tell you, I would bet my next breath, both ex-wives are going, 'I WASN'T CRAZY afterall'.

Jul 2015
Florida
From the link:

“The Kochs and other libertarian billionaires have probably realized by now that centrist Democrats — self-described liberals who support tax cuts, deregulating industries, and privatizing public services — are more reliable allies than ambitious and popular progressives with a concrete political agenda,” he wrote. “The Joe Bidens of the party are much more sympathetic to the plight of the super-rich than the Elizabeth Warrens, after all.”

Pretty much sums it up.
Well said. And we don't want THEIR GUNS either.

Mar 2019
TN
I’ve wondered if it was time for moderates/centrists in both parties to get together and form a reliable, viable third party ?? This could be the beginning. It would certainly be more in line with my overall political outlook. I suspect there is a huge number of people like myself that would would love a viable centrist alternative party.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID

This is my favorite line.

One source described as “familiar with the Mercers’ thinking” said that the family is upset that Trump has not provided them with the return on their investment they had been expecting

Get a clue.

"Representatives of Charles and David Koch, the billionaire industrialists who helped to bankroll the rise of the tea party, warned the brothers could sit out the presidential campaign entirely — or even back Hillary Clinton. - link

Donald Trump gets no love from the Koch brothers
DONALD TRUMP WON'T BE GETTING KOCH BROTHERS MONEY
CAN THE KOCH BROTHERS STOP TRUMP?

"The globalist Koch Brothers, who have become a total joke in real Republican circles, are against Strong Borders and Powerful Trade. I never sought their support because I don’t need their money or bad ideas. They love my Tax & Regulation Cuts, Judicial picks & more. I made them richer. Their network is highly overrated, I have beaten them at every turn. They want to protect their companies outside the U.S. from being taxed, I’m for America First & the American Worker - a puppet for no one. Two nice guys with bad ideas. Make America Great Again!" - Donald Trump

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I’ve wondered if it was time for moderates/centrists in both parties to get together and form a reliable, viable third party ?? This could be the beginning. It would certainly be more in line with my overall political outlook. I suspect there is a huge number of people like myself that would would love a viable centrist alternative party.
The beginning of what? Government for and by the 1%.

Oh, wait, we already have that. :rolleyes:

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
At such a critical time when Trump's overall numbers are down even in double digits in many states going into 2020, it is most interesting to see the ultra rich and Conservative Koch Brothers come over to the Democratic side to help Democrats win! That is very telling and speaks volumes as to whom they obviously much prefer to take the White House in 2020 and no doubt the Senate as well.