"Korean" carrot salad

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
One of the most popular salad dishes in Russia today, is the so-called "Korean" carrot salad

Women love it because it is low fat and perfect for all their diets. And men also like it, because it is rumored to quickly relieve hangovers from all the vodka :D

You see it in most grocery shops and such

But what many have no idea, is that this salad, in fact, did not originate in Korea itself and actually has nothing to do with Korean cuisine from Korea lol

Ethnic Koreans had always lived in the Russian Far East, since the Romanovs conquered that area from Korea and China

Through to the Soviet era

and to this very day Sakhalin Island especially still has a vibrant Korean community

During WWII, Stalin, in his typical paranoia, suspected the Soviet Koreans in the Far East of sympathies towards Japan, because, you know, Korea itself was a part of Japanese Empire then.

It was idiotic. Numerous Koreans had joined the Red Army and fought bravely at the front

while others, with the advantage of their Asian appearance and knowledge of language and cultural customs, served the USSR covertly, as spies, in Korea and even some in Japan itself!

Plenty of Koreans earned high decorations in the War

Nonetheless, Stalin did not trust them and, as with Chechens, and Crimean Tatars, and Volga Germans, had large numbers of them exiled to Central Asia, mainly - Kazakhstan.

It was an unfamiliar environment for them, but the Koreans actually thrived there, quickly reestablishing their rice farms and such

Unfortunately, because of the climate, they could not grow the cabbage there, which they used for their favorite dish, kimchi. But, they thenm found that carrots, on the other hand, grow amazingly there, and switched to that.

Hence, the "Korean Carrot Salad" was born. Later, descendants of these Koreans from Kazakhstan moved around to many cities in Russia and elsewhere in ex-USSR, and the dish then grew in familiarity and popularity among non-Koreans everywhere too.

Today, Moscow has actual Korean restaurants with Korean chefs actually from South Korea, such as the White Swan, where Steven Seagal himself likes to eat :D

And, Russians keep coming to these places and ordering "Korean Carrot Salad". And these chefs have no fucking idea what that is and how to make it, because nobody in Korea itself ever heard of such a thing! lmao

Food history is fascinating... :)

Jul 2018
North Carolina
At the start of your post it said Korean carrot salad. I was like what the heck? I’ve never heard of it, and I used to go there to Korea twice a week lol. It seems ole Stalin didn’t trust anybody :eek:during WW2 huh?
Heck we (America) didn’t either in a lot of ways unfortunately. :angry:

Good post man. Thanks.

P.S. I do love me some kimchi though:cool:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
At the start of your post it said Korean carrot salad. I was like what the heck? I’ve never heard of it, and I used to go there to Korea twice a week lol. It seems ole Stalin didn’t trust anybody :eek:during WW2 huh?
Heck we (America) didn’t either in a lot of ways unfortunately. :angry:

Good post man. Thanks.

P.S. I do love me some kimchi though:cool:
Truth be told, I don't like Korean or any other Asian cuisine myself. Too much vegetables and no enough meat for my taste lol

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Truth be told, I don't like Korean or any other Asian cuisine myself. Too much vegetables and no enough meat for my taste lol
Growing up here in the US, I was always a meat and potatoes type guy. After I first started traveling (Middle East / Africa / Europe) my diet changed considerably with those foods. When I started traveling through Asia, I started eating a healthy bit of Fish / noodles / Rice. Even more so When I met my wife (a Filipina woman):winktongue:
I actually enjoy most Asian food still though lol.

Side note: if you get a chance / opportunity grab you some Filipino food. That type of cuisine has a few different meat choices you can select from.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Growing up here in the US, I was always a meat and potatoes type guy. After I first started traveling (Middle East / Africa / Europe) my diet changed considerably with those foods. When I started traveling through Asia, I started eating a healthy bit of Fish / noodles / Rice. Even more so When I met my wife (a Filipina woman):winktongue:

Side note: if you get a chance / opportunity grab you some Filipino food. That type of cuisine has a few different meat choices you can select from.
I lived a long time in Richmond, Canada's most Asian city: Richmond, British Columbia - Wikipedia

There are all kinds of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, even I seen Mongolian restaurants there. The Mongolian place was pretty good, they have good grilled meat there, I liked it.

Been to a Filipino place back there too. Great fried chicken :D

Jul 2013
On a happy trail

Pancit..... I would love some right now. That was the thing I most loved best about our unit pot lucks ......the Pancit.