Krispy Kreme Owners Admit To Family History Of Nazi Ties

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/business/krispy-kreme-nazi-ties/index.html

A family spokesperson said Albert Reimann Sr., who died in 1954, and Albert Reimann Jr., who died in 1984, used Russian civilian prisoners and French prisoners of war as forced labor in their factories during the war, and that they were anti-Semites and avowed supporters of Adolf Hitler.

The investigation also found that Reimann Sr. donated to Hitler's paramilitary SS force as early as 1931.

Investigators also found a letter from Reimann Jr. to a local mayor complaining that the French prisoners of war weren't working hard enough and should be in prison.

"Reimann Senior and Reimann Junior were guilty. The two businessmen have passed away, but they actually belonged in prison," said Peter Haft, the chairman and one of the managing partners of JAB Holdings, in an interview with German publication Bild. "We were ashamed and white as sheets. There is nothing to gloss over. These crimes are disgusting." A family spokesperson confirmed the quote to CNN Business.

-----------------------

The same company also owns Keurig Dr. Pepper... donuts and coffee? This is a bad day for breakfast!

...and Panera Bread too!

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Seriously, though... it's gotta be hard enough looking into your company history and finding this background... but finding it in your family history at the same time... wow.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
I don't think the kids can repent for the sins of their fathers. But it's their right to tell everyone about some of their family history.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I do like that they appear to have wanted to get out in front of this. Not sure they had much choice though. The last thing they'd want is for someone else to stumble on the story and have it appear they'd been attempting to hide it all along.

Mar 2019
I do like that they appear to have wanted to get out in front of this. Not sure they had much choice though. The last thing they'd want is for someone else to stumble on the story and have it appear they'd been attempting to hide it all along.
I hear you.

Mar 2019
Even if they hid it, I wouldn't blame them though. They did nothing wrong.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Even if they hid it, I wouldn't blame them though. They did nothing wrong.
Agreed. But from a public relations standpoint, hiding it would look bad and probably hurt business. Getting in front of it helps them appear to be on the right side of it.