Kyle, Navy Seal 'embellished' medals of valor & told by the USN not to...

Jul 2015
Florida
Okay, FIRST UP! The guy had PLENTY of medals--earned. END OF DISCUSSION on that. No one is trying to minimize his VALOR. He was smart enough to run his book past authorities for their input (no doubt also for 'intelligence' purposes) but he was warned not to include some of his claims for medals he HADN'T received. He went back to his original script.

Here's the POINT! What internal or external 'pressures', dare I ask, even EGO would make a well decorated VET do that? It cheapens the medals HE ACTUALLY EARNED. And it takes him down a notch in what his fellow members thought of him (they said so--look below). It just diminishes all involved--not to mention those who got the medals fair and square with no 'asterisks'.

REVEALED: Conservative hero ’American Sniper’ Chris Kyle grossly exaggerated his military record
TRAVIS GETTYS
25 MAY 2016 AT 11:00 ET

Chris Kyle, whose memoir “American Sniper” was turned into a Hollywood blockbuster, greatly embellished his military service record, according to newly revealed documents.

Kyle, the former Navy SEAL known as the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history, claimed in his book to have been awarded two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars, “all for valor” — but, in fact, he earned only about half that total, reported The Intercept.

The website obtained internal Navy documents that showed Kyle earned only one Silver Star and three Bronze Stars with Valor, and Navy officials confirmed that service record through 10 years in the military and four deployments.

Kyle was warned at least once by a former commanding officer before his memoir was published that he had inaccurately portrayed his medal count, according to one current Navy officer who spoke to The Intercept.

His separation document, or DD214, actually lists even more medals than Kyle claimed in his book.

That document lists two Silver Stars and six Bronze Stars, although it’s not clear where the discrepancy originated.

“The form DD214 is generated locally at the command where the service member is separated,” said Cullen James, a spokesperson for the Navy Personnel Command. “Although the information on the DD214 should match the official records, the process involves people and inevitably some errors may occur.”

James said the official record would be maintained by the Navy Department Awards System — which documented one Silver Star and three Bronze Stars for Kyle, who separated from the Navy in 2009 and was murdered four years later by a mentally ill veteran.

Nearly 7,000 people attended his funeral, which was held at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas.

Fellow Navy SEALs who spoke to The Intercept on the condition of anonymity said it was a poorly kept secret that Kyle had embellished his military service record

REVEALED: Conservative hero ?American Sniper? Chris Kyle grossly exaggerated his military record

May 2012
By the wall
How many men's lives did this man save and you make a thread trying to drag his name through the mud?

Who the fuck cares what he embellished.

You should be ashamed of yourself being more worried about medals than what he accomplished.

Jul 2015
Florida
How many men's lives did this man save and you make a thread trying to drag his name through the mud?

You should be ashamed of yourself being more worried about medals than what he accomplished.
Actually, what came to my mind FIRST and immediately was the Navy Admiral who KILLED HIMSELF because someone found out a little itty bitty 'marker' on one of his ribbons--wasn't supposed to be there. What a fucking waste!

It's macho HORSESHIT! And I'd like to understand why! And its in the same 'vein' of MACHO HORSESHIT that has given us DONALD J TRUMP.

And AS LONG as it appears important enough to be written about--an 'expose' of the V on the Admiral's ribbon--was coming out in a news article and that's why he left the Pentago and went home and SHOT HIMSELF, and this story is making the rounds, then it is POSTABLE.

Last edited:
May 2012
By the wall
Why don't you go hang out at the airport and spit on our returning soldiers while calling them baby killers.

That's what you people do.

Oct 2010

Stolen Valor is a real thing. Lying about receiving medals/honors you did not isn't just disgusting, it's a federal criminal act, punishable by fines and jail time. Kyle did indeed rightfully recieve military honors, so there is no reason to lie about receiving more than he actually did. By glorifying and exaggerating his own actions, he spits on those honest soldiers who actually earned the honors they did.

With this act, he willfully threw away whatever "honor" he might have been due, as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't bother me in the least if his record is tarnished by this.

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Florida
Why don't you go hang out at the airport and spit on our returning soldiers while calling them baby killers.

That's what you people do.

Well being a military brat living ON and just OFF BASE when soldiers were returning home from Viet Nam, how likely do you think it was I was spitting on any soldier coming home? (We lived down the street from JOHN MC CAIN'S 'awaiting' wife while he was a POW).

You don't know JACK about me or anyone else on this board. You better find another line of attack, JACK!!

May 2012
By the wall
There are husbands and fathers alive because this man put his life on the line for them.

If he wants to embellish to sell a book who cares.

This is a fucking disgusting thread.

Jul 2015
Florida
Stolen Valor is a real thing. Lying about receiving medals/honors you did not isn't just disgusting, it's a federal criminal act, punishable by fines and jail time. Kyle did indeed rightfully recieve military honors, so there is no reason to lie about receiving more than he actually did. By glorifying and exaggerating his own actions, he spits on those honest soldiers who actually earned the honors they did.

With this act, he willfully threw away whatever "honor" he might have been due, as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't bother me in the least if his record is tarnished by this.
Exactly! Thank you, well said.

(And what burns my ass is if it is something in the 'culture' that made this young man feel it WASN'T ENOUGH. That is a tragedy)

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
There are husbands and fathers alive because this man put his life on the line for them.
And? Lots of people did that in Iraq without having to lie about the medals they received.

Spookycolt said:
If he wants to embellish to sell a book who cares.
Apparently the military did, since his superiors told him that his book was incorrect, and suggested he change it. And then there are the other members from his group who knew he was embellishing his medals and service record. Apparently they didn't appreciate it, either.

Spookycolt said:
This is a fucking disgusting thread.
Then feel free to leave.