Lasik.....

Jul 2011
NYC
SO I have to have the TV on today due to a work related contract, and this commercial comes on for lasik surgery..... a discount! a discounted laser eye surgery center.....

Is it me or is that like deciding to go skydiving and looking for the cheapest parachute money can buy?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
SO I have to have the TV on today due to a work related contract, and this commercial comes on for lasik surgery..... a discount! a discounted laser eye surgery center.....

Is it me or is that like deciding to go skydiving and looking for the cheapest parachute money can buy?
Years ago we had this commercial with this skeevy guy advertising day surgeries. "Affordable.." Who would go??

Nov 2013
NY
Years ago we had this commercial with this skeevy guy advertising day surgeries. "Affordable.." Who would go??

Probably would not go for the cheapest.. but going for a well known brand and finding the best deal at 50% off ? Nothing wrong with that.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts

Yes, when it comes to your eyes, it seems like it's worth going to the best, just for peace of mind. In my case, I had Lasik (and PRK) from an outfit called TLC Laser Eye Center. At the time (15 years ago, or so), they were not the least expensive option, but they had a good reputation. In retrospect, it was money very well spent. Before I went, I was legally blind in one eye and my other eye had a bad enough prescription that I was useless without glasses. Afterwards, I was 20/20 in my previously-blind eye, and 20/15 in my good eye. It hasn't held quite steady -- I'm more like 20/20 in both now. But it's been great. And it has probably saved me money, at this point, in doctors visits and glasses, over the years. Plus, all the little conveniences have been terrific -- for example, if I get sunglasses, swim goggles, snow goggles, etc., I don't need a prescription set to see well. I can go swimming at the beach without worrying about glasses (or contacts). I can wake up in the middle of the night and see fine, without fumbling for lenses. No more having my glasses fog when I come in from the cold, or having them covered with rain. It's great.

Jul 2011
NYC
Yes, when it comes to your eyes, it seems like it's worth going to the best, just for peace of mind. In my case, I had Lasik (and PRK) from an outfit called TLC Laser Eye Center. At the time (15 years ago, or so), they were not the least expensive option, but they had a good reputation. In retrospect, it was money very well spent. Before I went, I was legally blind in one eye and my other eye had a bad enough prescription that I was useless without glasses. Afterwards, I was 20/20 in my previously-blind eye, and 20/15 in my good eye. It hasn't held quite steady -- I'm more like 20/20 in both now. But it's been great. And it has probably saved me money, at this point, in doctors visits and glasses, over the years. Plus, all the little conveniences have been terrific -- for example, if I get sunglasses, swim goggles, snow goggles, etc., I don't need a prescription set to see well. I can go swimming at the beach without worrying about glasses (or contacts). I can wake up in the middle of the night and see fine, without fumbling for lenses. No more having my glasses fog when I come in from the cold, or having them covered with rain. It's great.

My mother-in-law was in a similar boat. but researching the procedure, the last thing you want is the guy offering the cheapest price.

Jul 2011
NYC
I think that's the way they do it as standard procedure.

Some of them in my area, anyway...

Woah be the idiot that does both at once and doesn't wait until the results are in. Malpractice is what a doctor who does both should be charged with, force is strong with my sentence....