Lawrence O'Donnell, Herman Cain Argue About The Civil Rights Movement (VIDEO)

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
To be fair to Cain, my parents told me the same thing. We lived in a small town in California. The protest were mostly in the cities. So, growing up in a small conservative town the protestors seemed like trouble-makers. Cain actually did fairly well. The only thing that kinda bothered me was his staff clapping and cheering him on in the background. I've just never seen that with a one on one interview. Frankly, I found it to be rude. Cain was a guest on a show. Cheering and clapping, everytime he disagrees with something the moderator asked, sends the message that they're inexperienced, bias, and don't respect the forum that's giving Cain the chance to articulate his position on the issues.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
To be fair to Cain, my parents told me the same thing. We lived in a small town in California. The protest were mostly in the cities. So, growing up in a small conservative town the protestors seemed like trouble-makers. Cain actually did fairly well. The only thing that kinda bothered me was his staff clapping and cheering him on in the background. I've just never seen that with a one on one interview. Frankly, I found it to be rude. Cain was a guest on a show. Cheering and clapping, everytime he disagrees with something the moderator asked, sends the message that they're inexperienced, bias, and don't respect the forum that's giving Cain the chance to articulate his position on the issues.

I haven't seen the interview, but I've heard about the clapping. That is weird.

Jun 2011
I think its fair. I think its fair to ask bush where he was during vietnam, where kerry was, where clinton was, did clinton smoke pot.

We're judging for a tough job.

And he should be able to say where he was, and he was doing admirable things, math major and he went on to go to masters degree, not bad at all.

High school? At that point you're still under your father's thumb.....

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I think its fair. I think its fair to ask bush where he was during vietnam, where kerry was, where clinton was, did clinton smoke pot.

We're judging for a tough job.

And he should be able to say where he was, and he was doing admirable things, math major and he went on to go to masters degree, not bad at all.

High school? At that point you're still under your father's thumb.....

Since I posted this, I saw the interview. The clapping thing, while it sounded weird when I was reading about it, it didn't seem weird when watching it. Cain was at a bookstore it looked like, so it was a public setting. There was probably a crowd around him, who were responding to the questions/answers, I've seen that sort of thing before when interviews were done in public spaces.

But the high school thing ... it didn't work. He was not in college during the height of the Civil Rights era. He entered college in the fall of 63, was in college from 63-67. This is exactly the time period when college students were participating in sit ins and freedom rides. Watching the interview, Cain's answers came across even worse than reading about the answers.

Also, he wasn't in a small town, he was in Atlanta, GA. And he went to Morehouse College - same one Dr. King went to. LOTS of opportunities for joining in, had he chosen to. Now, not every student, never mind every black student, joined in. So, it's not unusual that he didn't. But his answers were not good answers.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah but Cain wasn't exactly on Meet The Press here. The tone of the show generates that kind of response. What do you expect with things like the "magic nine nine niney plan"? Lawrence O'Donnell sees guys like Stewart and Colbert and wants to be them. But he doesn't have the talent for it and ends up looking like a clown. So while the guys on Comedy Central get laughs by pretending to be serious, MSNBC hosts pretend to be funny and get laughed at.

Jan 2011
east coast
Yeah but Cain wasn't exactly on Meet The Press here. The tone of the show generates that kind of response. What do you expect with things like the "magic nine nine niney plan"? Lawrence O'Donnell sees guys like Stewart and Colbert and wants to be them. But he doesn't have the talent for it and ends up looking like a clown. So while the guys on Comedy Central get laughs by pretending to be serious, MSNBC hosts pretend to be funny and get laughed at.

Lawrence is no clown. He has served in Washington for years, and knows the ins and outs, and is a tough interviewer. He is not in it to be funny. He debates the issues with the knowledge of them. Not too many pundits i like on MSNBC, but Lawrence is one of them, with scruples and conducts his show with finesse. This was in a public setting, so there were people around.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Lawrence is no clown. He has served in Washington for years, and knows the ins and outs, and is a tough interviewer. He is not in it to be funny. He debates the issues with the knowledge of them. Not too many pundits i like on MSNBC, but Lawrence is one of them, with scruples and conducts his show with finesse. This was in a public setting, so there were people around.
A guy who grew up a pampered rich white kid trying to lecture a black man who grew up poor about the civil rights movement is nothing but a clown.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Yeah but Cain wasn't exactly on Meet The Press here. The tone of the show generates that kind of response.
You're right, but that doesn't matter. A presidential candidate will just have to find ways to overcome problems. Isn't that Cain's central argument--that people who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances just have man-up and overcome difficulties? He's basting in his own sauce.

He didn't show up for the civil rights movement--maybe he shouldn't show up for tough interviews either.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
A guy who grew up a pampered rich white kid trying to lecture a black man who grew up poor about the civil rights movement is nothing but a clown.
I thought race and class don't matter? I thought bringing them up is just 'dividing the country." Conservatives sure do like to fall back on the very arguments they reject so strongly when applied to anyone else.