Let’s Talk Gun Control

Dec 2018
Florida
So I’ve noticed a few things popping up here and there on the topic. This is a hot button for me as a gun owner. So I’m going to put up some talking points to get a discussion going and see what happens.

Universal Background Checks. This one baffles me. Primarily because it would be a failure on so many levels. You may support the idea on a “common sense” basis. Why quotations? Because “common sense” is usually your gut reaction and not predicated on evidence and support. It really means, “well if you don’t think about it in depth...it makes sense.” So what is there to think about?

Universal Background Checks require a few things. But let’s start with the most obvious issue. What is it checking for? Those who would not be legally allowed to purchase a firearm. Here is the link to who that is:

Are there persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Now. If this idea is getting pushed to stop mass shootings? Do you see the flaw? You have to actually detect the person. And our system is NOT good at that. And if this person IS banned? And they try to purchase? What happens? Nothing. And this HAS happened and failed. Newtown is an example.

As for criminals? They use straw purchases. So they already have the SAME “loophole” That isn’t a loophole. They would just purchase the firearm illegally through a straw purchase. And those are still very poorly prosecuted under existing law.

So? What would be a step in the RIGHT direction? What would have a meaningful impact? Well? We could start by pushing for increased prosecution and pursuit of straw purchasers. You would get NO argument from me as a gun owner or as a fairly strict anti gun control individual. These people are denied through due process and prosecution and wouldn’t infringe on the 2nd amendment.

I can go pretty in depth on this. We can also discuss the silliness of things like magazine bans or assault weapons bans as well. Or the idea that “need” is something you need concern yourself with.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Gun Control is one of those issues that no one wants to really do anything about, but it sure stirs the pot during election cycles. Gun Control only works if everyone is following the same rules. Since criminals do not follow our laws any way what is the the effect? Gun Control laws simply take guns away from law abiding citizens. A state where one party controls both houses of the lawmaking branch and the executive is called a trifecta. The Democrats have a trifecta in 14 states. Six of those states they have held that position for years. Why haven't those states passed strict Gun Control laws? Why haven't they disarmed their citizens?

May 2016
california
Given as we are seemingly headed into a nanny state where even sharp objects are considered a threat, you can't take your nail clippers on an airflight sort of thing, guns will likely be treated as legal to own but illegal to use.

Dec 2018
Florida
Gun Control is one of those issues that no one wants to really do anything about, but it sure stirs the pot during election cycles. Gun Control only works if everyone is following the same rules. Since criminals do not follow our laws any way what is the the effect? Gun Control laws simply take guns away from law abiding citizens. A state where one party controls both houses of the lawmaking branch and the executive is called a trifecta. The Democrats have a trifecta in 14 states. Six of those states they have held that position for years. Why haven't those states passed strict Gun Control laws? Why haven't they disarmed their citizens?
They have slowly made it painfully difficult to actually acquire lawful firearms. That is strict control. What they haven’t done is had an true clamp down on crime. I think a lot of people don’t understand there is no such thing as “gun crime.” It is just crime. Or “gun deaths.” Just deaths. And motive is important.

So why do these murders happen? How do you reduce the motive? I don’t think people want to touch that.

Dec 2018
Florida
Given as we are seemingly headed into a nanny state where even sharp objects are considered a threat, you can't take your nail clippers on an airflight sort of thing, guns will likely be treated as legal to own but illegal to use.
“Why do you need that for hunting?”

Well it isn’t a hunting rifle...so?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
A city in Colorado recently tried to enact a strict registration for guns. Less than a hundred have been registered and it is a Democrat area.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Gun Control is one of those issues that no one wants to really do anything about, but it sure stirs the pot during election cycles.
On both sides. The left tries to make everyone more afraid of guns, and the right tries to make everyone afraid of having their guns taken away. Bipartisan fear.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
A city in Colorado recently tried to enact a strict registration for guns. Less than a hundred have been registered and it is a Democrat area.
Always happens. New York and Connecticut tried to set up gun registries as well. Gun owners simply refused to comply. And law enforcement decided that they had a million other better things they'd rather do than enforce the registration. These are blue states and they couldn't successfully set up a simple gun registry. So I don't know how anyone thinks they're going to roll into states like Texas or Oklahoma and confiscate guns.