Let's consolidate welfare programs under one department (e.g., DHHS)

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
This idea is a take-off from a comment I made in another thread and so I figured it might be worth exploring on its own.

"The federal government provides billions of dollars annually in public assistance through an inefficient welfare system that is increasingly cumbersome for program administrators to manage and difficult for eligible clients to access." - Jane Ross, 1995, Director of Income Security Issues, United States General Accounting Office.

WELFARE PROGRAMS: Opportunities to Consolidate and Increase Program Efficiencies

This paper is twenty years dated now, but that's part of my point -- this is not a new idea -- but why haven't we pursued greater welfare consolidation? We still have the following different departments administering a wide diversity of programs that share a common underlying purpose (to financially and materially assist the young, old, poor, sick, and disabled). The programs are scattered among (and not limited to) the following departments:

Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Department of Education
Department of Health and Human Services
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Department of Veteran's Affairs
Social Security Administration

And within each of these departments there are of course numerous divisions, agencies, programs, task forces, advisory boards, and so forth with administrative or regulatory responsibility over these different funding streams despite there being a common unifying purpose.

I would not propose eliminating any of those entire departments per se, but only taking from their administration the programs purposed with providing direct benefit disbursement to or for needy individuals and consolidate them under the Department of Health and Human Services.

From the highlights of the above link:

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed low-income families' participation in multiple welfare programs, focusing on: (1) program inefficiencies; and (2) issues to consider in consolidating welfare programs.

GAO found that: (1) federal expenditures for the 80 welfare programs that provide assistance to low-income recipients totalled $223 billion in 1993; (2) many low-income families are eligible for and receive assistance from multiple programs; (3) most families receiving Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) are also eligible for Medicaid and food stamps; (4) welfare programs are difficult for needy families to access and for program administrators to operate; (5) numerous programs target the same clients, share the same goals, and provide similar services, creating program overlaps which add unnecessary administrative costs and complicate service delivery; (6) given their size and complex structure, welfare programs are inherently vulnerable to fraud and abuse and little is known about their effectiveness; (7) state governments and local providers have sought to streamline program operations and service delivery, but their efforts are hindered by the patchwork of federal programs and funding streams; (8) Congress is considering consolidating specific federal programs, such as employment training, child care subsidy, and housing programs; and (9) it is important to ensure that federal funds are used effectively regardless of how welfare programs are ultimately restructured.
Thoughts? Why not do this?

May 2012
By the wall
I agree.

This is just what the Department of Homeland Security did and it saved them money as well as made them more efficient.

I think its a great idea and I would consolidate other parts of the government also.

It also makes it easier to cut inefficient programs.

Dec 2010
Virginia
I agree.

This is just what the Department of Homeland Security did and it saved them money as well as made them more efficient.

I think its a great idea and I would consolidate other parts of the government also.

Factually incorrect. DHS is a huge, dysfunctional, inefficient, and wildly expensive agency.
But do feel free to substantiate your claims that consolidation made it "efficient" with links to reputable news sources.

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2010
I agree.

link??

Reactions: 1 person
May 2012
By the wall
Factually incorrect. DHS is a huge, dysfunctional, inefficient, and wildly expensive agency.
But do feel free to substantiate your claims that consolidation made it "efficient" with links to reputable news sources.
I'm not spending an hour doing research for someone like you.

Don't believe it if you want, I really don't care.

May 2012
By the wall
So you have nothing? That's hardly surprising.
You have to remember that I am a political science and history major so much of my knowledge comes from lectures, textbooks, and school research projects. Every time you guys ask me for links it takes time on my part to find it because I highly doubt your going to go buy the textbook or trust my lecture notes.

All you guys ever do is yell link, link, link without ever providing your own.

I am just sick of it. I have proved everything I have ever posted and my reputation for doing that is better than anyone else's.

Now I don't really care anymore.

Just assume everything I ever say is a lie and quit yelling for links. It will save me and my computer a lot of wasted time.

Or better yet, just put me on ignore.

May 2012
By the wall
Congratulations. Once again you have made an ignorant fool of yourself, this time thanks to Cicero and AM.
Hell, I've proven them both wrong so many times I lost count.

I am tired of jumping through hoops for them spending an hour doing research so the little trolls can say, "whatever".

Like I said, don't believe it if you don't want to.

You will notice how either of them could easily bury me by showing one little link that proves I am wrong yet neither of them care enough to take the time to look for it or do the research.

That says quite a bit doesn't it.