Let's go to war?

Do you support US military action against Iran?

• Total voters
Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Bolton joined the NG to avoid the draft during Vietnam. Bolton actually served in the Army, but he never engaged in combat. He basically used the Army as a means to a college scholarship -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

There are at least two left wing posters here who did the same, many on the left defended nathan phillips who lied about going, the problem with that logic is, you signed on the line, now granted maybe it was his safest bet, but at any moment he could have been activated.

Not a chickenhawk.

now is he to gung ho about going to war, absolutely. And what makes me cringe is how gung ho he is, while admitting he joined the guard for the very reasons you outlined.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
But some might argue we had no business in Vietnam. It was "their problem." Same thing with Iraq. Yet we couldnt wait to get in and try to enforce our rules and ideas.
But in the case of the first Iraq war, we led a coalition enforcing International law. It wasn't OUR rules--it was international law. Vietnam was rather different--an internal problem inside a sovereign nation--not over an international border.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
There was a couple of tankers that were attacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The question is, by whom?

We live in the age of false flags, man.

Look at Crimea 2014: Russian spec ops guys in plainclothes acting as enemy Ukrainian nationalist militia or whatever (but armed with portable grenade launchers, for instance, ONLY available to elite Russian units and NEVER exported outside the country; yeah, someone fucked up there lmao) "attacking Russian citizens"

and actual uniformed Russian troops then coming in en masse to "defend" those Russian citizens, from own colleagues haha

You think only Russia does shit like that? Others have been learning from them since...

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I am still trying to figure that part out. I don't think it's like the last two presidents "wagging the dog" that we've seen. Im not sure what trump wants to distract from, and why I don't think it's that is trump isn't banging the war drums, bolton may be, but trump seems less committed.

When the wag the dog type of bs happens its the potus, whether an obama or a bush(s), they lead the charge for the call. or the SECSTATE does.
It's quite possible that Trump really doesn't want a war in Iran, but is just saber rattling in order to distract voters from the real issues.

I'm not sure how the last two presidents started "wag the dog" rumors of war. Bush II actually did start a war, and Obama never did threaten war. Quite the opposite: the war in Yemen was downplayed, as was the one in Afganistan.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
President Trump is frustrated with some of his top advisers, who he thinks could rush the United States into a military confrontation with Iran and shatter his long-standing pledge to withdraw from costly foreign wars, according to several U.S. officials. Trump prefers a diplomatic approach to resolving tensions and wants to speak directly with Iran’s leaders.

Trump grew angry last week and over the weekend about what he sees as warlike planning that is getting ahead of his own thinking, said a senior administration official with knowledge of conversations Trump had regarding national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
“They are getting way out ahead of themselves, and Trump is annoyed,” the official said. “There was a scramble for Bolton and Pompeo and others to get on the same page.”
Bolton, who advocated regime change in Iran before joining the White House last year, is “just in a different place” from Trump, although the president has been a fierce critic of Iran since long before he hired Bolton. Trump “wants to talk to the Iranians; he wants a deal” and is open to negotiation with the Iranian government, the official said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2799213e824_story.html?utm_term=.c264ef27b96e

I agree with Davo and Trump!

Jun 2014
United States
President Trump is frustrated with some of his top advisers, who he thinks could rush the United States into a military confrontation with Iran and shatter his long-standing pledge to withdraw from costly foreign wars, according to several U.S. officials. Trump prefers a diplomatic approach to resolving tensions and wants to speak directly with Iran’s leaders.

Trump grew angry last week and over the weekend about what he sees as warlike planning that is getting ahead of his own thinking, said a senior administration official with knowledge of conversations Trump had regarding national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
“They are getting way out ahead of themselves, and Trump is annoyed,” the official said. “There was a scramble for Bolton and Pompeo and others to get on the same page.”
Bolton, who advocated regime change in Iran before joining the White House last year, is “just in a different place” from Trump, although the president has been a fierce critic of Iran since long before he hired Bolton. Trump “wants to talk to the Iranians; he wants a deal” and is open to negotiation with the Iranian government, the official said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2799213e824_story.html?utm_term=.c264ef27b96e

I agree with Davo and Trump!

If Trump disagrees with what those two are doing, then he should fire their asses. After all, he's the idiot who hired them in the first place. What did he expect?

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
If Trump disagrees with what those two are doing, then he should fire their asses. After all, he's the idiot who hired them in the first place. What did he expect?
You don't fire people just because you disagree with them, otherwise why hire anyone at all?