Let's go to war?

Do you support US military action against Iran?

• Total voters
Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hmmm...Iran could be the 'Syracuse' for the US simply owing to the logistical problems associated with the geography.
No, I don't think so. I think it would be a disaster, but I don't see it being existential. For a war to be an existential threat to the United States it would have to destroy most of our navy, or take place in North America, or involve nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
And here is the real rub, they have not invaded a nation in eons, not one nation.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. They've been hemmed in by Mughals, Ottomans, Russians, Brits, and Americans since the collapse of the Timurids.

Iran is a real contender. It just happens that Turkey is a realer one.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
They learned their lesson at Thermopylae!

Actually, the won that land battle, but then the Greeks retreated to the sea and destroyed the Persian fleet in the difficult waters in the gulfs around Greece. The Persians withdrew to Asia Minor and never tried again. That was the fifth century BC.
Well, unless you characterize Mithradiates (I don't know how to spell it) as a Persian. I would. Beyond that, they "never tried again" because the Macedonians shattered their empire, and the Romans held it's resurgence at a more distant frontier until the Arabs could shatter it again.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Well, unless you characterize Mithradiates (I don't know how to spell it) as a Persian. I would. Beyond that, they "never tried again" because the Macedonians shattered their empire, and the Romans held it's resurgence at a more distant frontier until the Arabs could shatter it again.
Fair enough, but it's still be almost 2500 years.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
They learned their lesson at Thermopylae!

Actually, the won that land battle, but then the Greeks retreated to the sea and destroyed the Persian fleet in the difficult waters in the gulfs around Greece. The Persians withdrew to Asia Minor and never tried again. That was the fifth century BC.
They did invade Southern Caucasus plenty of times though. The Georgians, for one, spent much of their history fighting off one Persian invasion after another... And my fellow Armenians fought alongside them in much of that.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
No, I don't think so. I think it would be a disaster,...
And that was kind of the point. A poorly thought out campaign led by a demagogue (I often refer to Trump as 'Alkibiades').

Well, unless you characterize Mithradiates (I don't know how to spell it) as a Persian.
*Mithridates* That is of course if you are referring to the King of Pontus who fought the Roman expansion into Greece.

Last edited:
Nov 2008
Washington state
The big question is this. If Iran attacked us would Congress be against war just because they think Trump is illegitimate. They would commit political suicide rather then protect Americans, helping Trump get re-elected in 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
The big question is this. If Iran attacked us would Congress be against war just because they think Trump is illegitimate. They would commit political suicide rather then protect Americans, helping Trump get re-elected in 2020
Attacked us how? We know nothing about the supposed threats against which Trump is assembling this flotilla. In the meantime, John Bolton (who has advocated war against Iran for decades) is assembling plans for an invasion. So...how would Iran attack us? We deserve to know.

Here's the thing: a US president can move assets to a region in order to counter a threat without making the moves so public. It's UNUSUAL for such moves to be so public. Why the saber rattling?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess we would find out how popular Trump really is.