Let's go to war?

Do you support US military action against Iran?

• Total voters

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
But I'm sure you'd find a way to rationalize it like every other heinous "first" he has a whim to do.

Nov 2008
Washington state
I guess we would find out how popular Trump really is.
Not popular with Democrats at all. They figure he stole the election by Putin’s help. Hillary still hasn’t conceded, so it’s an all out Assault on anything Trump does, even the safety of Americans

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
And that was kind of the point. A poorly thought out campaign led by a demagogue (I often refer to Trump as 'Alkibiades').
I know. But to say it might be a "Syracuse" implies an existential disaster, as the Sicilian campaign would ultimately end the Athenian Empire.

And I think any comparison between Trump and Alcibiades is pretty tenuous.

*Mithridates* That is of course if you are referring to the King of Pontus who fought the Roman expansion into Greece.
Ah. For some reason I was pronouncing his name incorrectly, leading me to spell it incorrectly.

Jul 2014
midwest
That's a false dichotomy. Since when are the Iranians consulted at all about American policy? On the other hand, Congress has a role to play when it comes to armed conflict--they have to approve it.
I would trust Trump more than the Iranians, and would not necessarily completely trust either.

Of course Congress has a role, but Trump could get things going before they have a say.

Dunno where you got the "Iranians consulted at all about American policy" stuff...

They can speak to us just as we can speak to them.

Maybe the other side will listen and maybe not...

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Not popular with Democrats at all. They figure he stole the election by Putin’s help. Hillary still hasn’t conceded, so it’s an all out Assault on anything Trump does, even the safety of Americans

Like I said, I'm sure you'll rationalize anything Trump CHOOSES to do in Iran.

But even Tucker Carlson is ridiculing the concept and John Bolton.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
I would trust Trump more than the Iranians, and would not necessarily completely trust either.

Of course Congress has a role, but Trump could get things going before they have a say.
Could, but should? Only under the most dire of circumstances.

Dunno where you got the "Iranians consulted at all about American policy" stuff...

They can speak to us just as we can speak to them.

Maybe the other side will listen and maybe not...
I'm saying that what Iranians say has nothing to do with anything. Comparing one to the other is ridiculous.

Sep 2012
California
They aren't like Iraq, that's for sure.
Will someone please show them a relief map of Iran? The place is filled with mountains and millions upon millions of people. It would take an army of a million strong to even make a dent in them. And here is the real rub, they have not invaded a nation in eons, not one nation. Sure they huff and puff but that is simply bravado like Saddam did. Does anyone over there understand the cultures of the ME? My lord, we are doomed.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. They've been hemmed in by Mughals, Ottomans, Russians, Brits, and Americans since the collapse of the Timurids.

Iran is a real contender. It just happens that Turkey is a realer one.
Then war seems to define us. If we again allow a war with a nation that has not attacked us nor invaded another country that is strategic to us or an ally, we are simply a war mongering rogue state. And the bizarre thing about us is that most Americans think we are a nation of peace. Peaceful is a strange word for what we truly are.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Will someone please show them a relief map of Iran? The place is filled with mountains and millions upon millions of people. It would take an army of a million strong to even make a dent in them. And here is the real rub, they have not invaded a nation in eons, not one nation. Sure they huff and puff but that is simply bravado like Saddam did. Does anyone over there understand the cultures of the ME? My lord, we are doomed.

Then war seems to define us. If we again allow a war with a nation that has not attacked us nor invaded another country that is strategic to us or an ally, we are simply a war mongering rogue state. And the bizarre thing about us is that most Americans think we are a nation of peace. Peaceful is a strange word for what we truly are.
The US was essentially founded on war and conflict and has been for 222 years. Why would we ever in a million years think we suddenly would be different? In the US peace is done via force. Thats why we think we are peaceful, we are the worlds law enforcement.