Let's talk cancer

Sep 2005
I hate starting threads like this, with very little in way of debate... but I was just following a link and found this article pretty damn fascinating:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27canc.html?em

And also realized that I know next-to-nothing about cancer. I mean I know it's bad, it's malignant cells making homes in places they shouldn't be and it can raise money here like a bad out of hell, but for such a widespread disease for some reason I've never really tried to understand it.

Has cancer research made any ground the past few years? My other site has been donating money to Jimmy Fund every year (and will continue to do so... I'll post the link here as well) but I think it would be awesome that prior to doing so it would be great for us to understand where cancer research is headed, as well as educate us a little on this topic. It sounds funny but we're almost desensitized to it, or atleast I am, and I know that I shouldn't be.

I'm legitimately ignorant on this issue and it sucks

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
[quote name='PoliticalHotwire' date='27 October 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1256679945' post='46076']

I hate starting threads like this, with very little in way of debate... but I was just following a link and found this article pretty damn fascinating:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27canc.html?em

And also realized that I know next-to-nothing about cancer. I mean I know it's bad, it's malignant cells making homes in places they shouldn't be and it can raise money here like a bad out of hell, but for such a widespread disease for some reason I've never really tried to understand it.

Has cancer research made any ground the past few years? My other site has been donating money to Jimmy Fund every year (and will continue to do so... I'll post the link here as well) but I think it would be awesome that prior to doing so it would be great for us to understand where cancer research is headed, as well as educate us a little on this topic. It sounds funny but we're almost desensitized to it, or atleast I am, and I know that I shouldn't be.

I'm legitimately ignorant on this issue and it sucks

[/quote]

All cancers are different, then there's differences within each type (breast cancer, prostate, colon, etc.)

Probably like you, I've never really been exposed to cancer. My family doesn't seem to carry it genetically,

but I can tell ya, I've learned more about it in the past 6 months than I never imagined.

Wifey was diagnosed with breast cancer a few days after Valentine's day. After the initial prognosis and the

intrusive surgery, it's been all pretty much uphill. She had IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma). Stage 2, grade 2,

and the report said the first lymph node was slightly 'hot', whatever that meant, but the surgeon said it wasn't

wrinkled, so it was hard to determine.

She had a right masectomy and replaced the breast from belly fat & skin tissue(DIEP surgery). She got a tumy tuck out of the deal.

In a few moths, the plastic surgeon will construct a nipple and tattoo the areola.

She has her last of 6 chemo treatments this Thursday. The whole time she's been doing treatments, an herbologist has worked with her

on supplements to increase energy and white blood counts. A week after each chemo blast, she goes back to get a blood test and has

blown the charts in comparison to other patients on the blood counts. We met this herbologist through a friend that kicked it strictly

by using alternative/herbal treatments. She's also treating a friend who's prostrate cancer spread to his spine and all 3 tumors are shrinking.

Wifey is convinced Big Pharm only wants to keep you sick and she's no conspircy theorist.

My girl is high energy and never missed a beat. She also looks very '5th Ave.' with her array of headgear. I told her to keep that stuff even

when her hair grows back.

P.S. Oh, BTW, the pic isn't the wifey.

Just a random pic from some medical site, sorry if it offends.