Liberals and Slaveholders

T

thenextbesthang

Have more in common than they think.
Slaveholders wanted to right to own slaves, without interference from the feds.
Liberals want the right to privacy, without interference from the feds.

Booya.

F

Feslin

Wait, what?

I could draw a line like that between many other things.

For instance;

Conservatives want the right to life without interference from the feds.
People want the right to food without interferance from the feds.

So in conclusion, this is pointless.

F

freckles

Conservatives want the right to keep their money without interference from the feds.

That is more similiar to slavery because money and slavery are closer to property than privacy.

So, what is the point of this thread?

T

thenextbesthang

nothing
I'm just writing a paper on this concept, the concept of how to tackle tyranny of the majority.

You want me to post some elements?

T

thenextbesthang

The question: “Complaints are everywhere heard,” Madison writes in The Federalist No. 10, “that measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority.” How do The Federalist, Calhoun, and Guinier address this problem, and how are their analyses rooted in their understandings of the distribution of interests and groups in American society?

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Federalist:
Representation dilutes faction.
Extended representation further dilutes faction.
Strong executive is good, because it does not let the legislature factionalize.
Strong fed is good, because it does not let states factionalize.

Calhoun:
Strict adherence to limited government is good, because if its not that way, the majority will become a tyranny.
We need institutions to argue, because without them, there will inherently be a tyranny.

Guiner:
Interest representation is a better form of representation than geography based representation (referring to representatives, districts vs interests).

[/FONT]

F

Feslin

I agree with the basic idea behind the thread.

I've said many times before, I hate democracy, I'm a libertarian.

F

Feslin

That each individual person has rights given to them by the government, and protected by that same government.

Do you want me to expound on what I believe these rights should be?

T

thenextbesthang

if we are going to have a discussion...yes i would like that. I can't discuss with you if I do not know what you believe.