Living on $9 an hour

Jul 2011
I gave it a try...until I reached the part about my child's field trip.

Sorry, but anyone making $9 an hour has no business raising children...or they need to get a higher paying job.

I stopped playing the game at that point.

btw, I make much more than $9 an hour, but my monthly rent is $345. It's possible to live cheaper than this game's numbers.

Oct 2010

Sorry, but anyone making $9 an hour has no business raising children...or they need to get a higher paying job.

btw, I make much more than $9 an hour, but my monthly rent is $345. It's possible to live cheaper than this game's numbers.
you miss the point, many who were making good money found themselves having to take a 9 dollar a hr job. They had a child back when they were making better money.

Not every area has a 345 dollar a month rental.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
you miss the point, many who were making good money found themselves having to take a 9 dollar a hr job. They had a child back when they were making better money.

Well obviously, when your salary drops you should turn your children in.

Reactions: Tactical Evil Dan
Jul 2011

There are always alternatives.

The point I was trying to make was not to try to live on $9 an hour if you have a family. It's not realistic to think you can.

Dec 2010
Virginia

Really? Ever rented a shithole studio apartment in a bad part of the city? Most start about $419 per month... at least that was the going rate in 1989 in East Oakland, Ca.

It's nice to say what people "should" do, like not have kids but that doesn't address the reality that poorer neighborhoods have LESS access to contraceptives, because they have less disposable income. So your answer is what, don't have sex? But you say don't have kids, which is assinine, particularly when you consider that many times the kids are not intentional and the only method of contraception, used by the poor, is practicing the rhythm method and praying. The boys are all playing some variation of "paradise by the dashboard light" and the girsl are supposed to wear chastity belts, right?

Does abstinence work, as a large scale contraceptive method, anywhere it has been mandated? No? I thought not.

If I sound irritated, I am. I am angered when people say "it's possible to live cheaper than this..." because they generally default to "when I was in college I lived on top Ramen for a month", or quote some statistic from Podunk Mississippi where the cost of living is low (and so are wages). Is this necessarily true for you? No, but my sense is that many who advocate that the poor should get by on less generally conflate a one time shortfall, in funds with a LIFETIME of poverty. While it's possible to live on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (or Top Ramen) for a month (or maybe two) it's not conducive to a long, healthy life. Try really living in poverty, with no Mommy and Daddy to bail you out, no safety net, and let me know how that works for you, (I have, it sucks) .

I can do it because I grew up doing it. I grew up in a South Boston family where salted codfish (two boxes for $3) , hotdogs, potatoes, and macaroni and cheese were all staples. My parents were the first generation in my family to go to college. My sister and I are the second, and we went by working our way through school. When I was 14 my parents applied (and got) permission for me to work part time (yes Massachusetts allows 14 year olds to work, part time, in some industries, like fast food) because we needed the money. I'd go to school, work three hours a day after school and 8 hours on Sundays (at HoJos), and then come home to study. My income was used to help pay for clothes and to keep the lights on. Mom worked, Dad worked, and the kids worked as soon as we were able to do so. My boss used to make sure I kept my grades up. She used to yell at me that I didn't want to live in Southie my whole life and education was one way out (it wasn't the one I took, however...I joined the Marines). She also taught me the value of a work ethic.

I lived in poverty, again , when I moved to California. I moved to get a job at Alameda NAS, in 1989, because, thanks to Ronald Wilson Reagan's shitty economy there were no jobs in Mass. George HW Bush didn't make things any better. When I got there, there was no job because George H.W. Bush's plan for America was to cut jobs, including contractor jobs. I finally got work at a restaurant, washing dishes. I had to walk three miles, to and from work, every day because I couldn't afford public transit. I worked as much overtime as I could, and I managed to scrimp enough money to buy a bicycle from the Salvation Army store which made it possible for me to look for work further out. My first GOOD paying job was as a police dispatcher (military radio experience paid off, finally) and I was able to start improving my llife. Imagine if I had been married, or worse yet had been married with kids. It would have been impossible.

So yeah, I'm irritated because I've done it. I had to forego a lot of things along the way INCLUDING having a family. I don't think this was, necessarily, a reasonable choice but it's the one that worked for me (financially). I resent the piss out of someone saying that the poor should "get by on less".

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Virginia
There are always alternatives.

The point I was trying to make was not to try to live on $9 an hour if you have a family. It's not realistic to think you can.
Yeah, living on the street or in a homeless shelter is an alternative. If you can get into the shelter.

$9 an hour won't support ONE person in many part of the country