lol Crazy Catholics think Harry Potter spells are REAL hahahah

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
A Roman Catholic school in Tennessee has banished JK Rowling's universally popular series of Harry Potter novels from its library shelves after its pastor took exception to their portrayal of magic, warning the spells and curses the author describes are real and “risk conjuring evil spirits” when read.

The Reverend Dan Reehill explained his decision in an email to the parents of students at St Edward Catholic School in Nashville, declaring that he had consulted with exorcists in the US and at the Vatican before outlawing the seven-volume tale of the boy wizard’s career at Hogwarts and his battle against Lord Voldermort and the forces of darkness.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text,” the Reverend Reehill wrote, apparently in all seriousness.

Rebecca Hammel, the superintendent of schools for the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, told The Tennessean that the Reverend Reehill had indeed sent the email and has the final say on the matter, since the Catholic Church does not have an official position on Ms Rowling’s best-selling series.

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” she said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.”

The school has recently opened a new library for its students, Ms Hammel explained, prompting the faculty to reassess its catalogue.

“I know that in the process they were going through and kind of weeding out some of the content in hopes of sprucing it up and improving the circulation,” she said.

Ms Hammel did say the school would not stand in the way of students reading Harry Potter at their parents’ discretion.
More: Harry Potter books removed from school library because they contain 'real' curses and spells

I believe this is the guy, Dan Reehill

he certainly ain't alone; in April, for example, some Catholics in Poland actually BURNED Harry Potter books

Polish priest apologises for Harry Potter book burning

lmao

In Russia, the Orthodox Church has condemned them also, Orthodox nationalists have occasionally burned HP books over the years too

and the Church, in 2016, even worked with the government to make a propaganda film where a Potter-like character and his magic school in the UK are cast as a dangerous enemy of Russia
The Russian Orthodox Church Released a Propaganda Film with a Harry Potter-Like Enemy

In 2012 over there, also came out a book, "Vanya [Ivan] Zhuk vs. Harry Potter", by Orthodox nationalist writer Irina Kovalchuk

It is about a boy, Vanya Zhukov, as mentioned in the title, whose mother is a devout Orthodox woman, who wants her son to be strong in the faith too, but he is more attracted to modern things, such as computer games and, yes, Harry Potter (in 2012, there were still new books coming out and were still popular over there). Until he has some sort of weird near death experience, and ends up in actual Hell (!), and has to return to his parents' faith and purge himself of this evil influence, to survive...

It's funny, though; there's also a fellow there, Dmitry Yemets

He made himself famous, by ripping off the whole Harry Potter story, way back then, in the early 2000s, and adopting it to Russian realities, with own magical creatures from Russian folklore and such; thus was born Tanya Grotter, yes, girl instead of boy; also magic rings instead of wands; and they fly around on magic vacuum cleaners instead of brooms lmao, except, of course, Tanya herself, who uses her cello or whatever musical instrument

:D Also, the majic school, Tibidokhs, is located on Buyan, a mythical island of ancient Rus folklore associated with magic and the supernatural and such and mentioned in many fairy tales.

Oh, and instead of Quiddich or however you spell that, here they have a much more extreme game, called, Drakoball, where you have to score into the mouth of a bloody dragon: Tanya, naturally, is a champ at this shit

This, btw, is from a newer, more recent re-publishing, these new covers.

I recall the ORIGINAL books that we read when I was going to school in Moscow back then; man, Tanya was HOT on those covers... haha

Yemets wrote, in total, since 2002, 14 Tanya Grotter books, last one came out in 2012 (after a four year break). And also introduced a new, younger character, Mefodiy Buslaev, to whom he transitioned from Tanya, after she grew up and graduated the magic school (but continued making own appearences in the Buslaev novels even after her own last 2012 book). Last Buslaev novel came out in 2016.

Not bad, all in all, very productive guy; and it has made him a very popular man

even if his books can't be legally produced outside Russia, at least in Europe (due to copyright lawsuit by Rowling lmao).

And the Church has never condemned him and his books.

Perhaps because Yemets is a devoutly Orthodox father of six

and a strong supporter of the Church, who has publicly backed the Church's involvement in the education system, for example

:rolleyes:

Sep 2016
My own world
That explains the rise in the number of Mass shootings since Harry Potter was first published and available in the US. These killers were under a spell, lol. See it had nothing to do with guns, lol.

Jun 2014
United States
lol Crazy Catholics think Harry Potter spells are REAL hahahah

This should come as no surprise. The Bible teaches that magic is real, going all the way back to the OT with it's Urim and Thummim cleromancy stones, angels, demons and witches. Those who deny the existence of magic aren't true believers.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
That $hit is real man. Shh, I think I hear some noises up in the Attic. Damn Warlocks. ;) LMAO.

Those coocoo's in the OP kinda remind me of this guy.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
That $hit is real man. Shh, I think I hear some noises up in the Attic. Damn Warlocks. ;) LMAO.

Those coocoo's in the OP kinda remind me of this guy.

You know, I laugh here with you; but Russians, for example, really believe in this stuff.

There are tons of ladies over there, doing very, very profitable business, as "witches", "sorceresses", 'shamanesses", "mediums", "para-psychics", "fortune tellers", and all kinds of other weird titles they make up for themselves; they really have no national overseeing body of any sort, no regulation, anyone there can set up shop and offer such "services to folks; many of them, though, actually cloak it in Orthodox Christianity too!

This Rufina for example

claims, in her advertising, to be a "Magistrate of White Magic", I joke you not :D

But this Zinaida has even her beat

She is, apparently, a "Magistrate of Highest Category" :D

Some may have very real looking diplomas and such of some sort, on their wall, also

Virtually all of them claim to be "dynastic" in their profession, in other words, their mothers, grandmothers, etc, all did this too.

It is mainly also women who go to them, for all sorts of "services"

They supposedly can "cure" your husband of alcoholism (via so-called "coding" - putting him into an unconscious state with hypnosis and deliberately introduced subconscious psychological aversion to booze; this one has, at least, been scientifically proven, sorta, over there; although, allegedly, it has negative side effects too, it can change the man's personality as well, essentially - turn him into an angry asshole, if he was a nice, jolly guy before; though, of course, I have heard detractors of this theory say any Russian man would become that way, if his wife forcibly deprives him of vodka long enough haha It's also temporary, you have to come in every couple months to "renew" your "code"...)

But also, they claim to heal all kinds of other diseases. I will say this, it happened to my mom, she had a tumor in her chest, which regular doctors even in Moscow, few years ago, didn't know how to remove, it was too close to her heart or something, not sure; and she went to some nun in this ancient monastery in the city of Suzdal, who claimed to be able to "heal through the power of God". Stayed for a month in that monastery, doing all sorts of rituals with that nun and her assistants. At the end of it, her tumor WAS gone, seriously. I was total skeptic of this shit, but... Not entirely anymore...

They can also tell your future, allegedly; help you talk to a dead relative in the other realm; put a curse on someone (so they will meet only with bad luck, from then on) and remove one someone else had put on you before lol

Women also go to them when suspect husband is falling for another woman. They supposedly have spells that will make your man go head over heels for you again. And a nice curse for the other lady too, while you are at it ;)

It's a whole huge, countrywide industry over there, seriously:

Russian witches and seers performed on Tuesday one of their most powerful rituals, "the circle of power,” to pass on their mystical energy to President Vladimir Putin.

Dozens of people who claim to have supernatural powers stood side by side, reading spells in their effort to support the Russian head of state.

Self-proclaimed leader of the Russian witches Alyona Polyn said the main intention of the gathering is to enhance quality of life in Russia, the whole world in general and to support the president.

“We have gathered here to make the world better off through Russia,” Polyn said.

“Come up with the greatness, power of Russia, direct the way of Vladimir Putin right and correctly throughout the word of mine,” she intoned during the ceremony.Russian traditional culture has various mentions about people who were attributed to have certain magical powers and derive their strength from mystical sources.

According to Russian Health Ministry data, around 800,000 people earned a living from performing as folk healers, psychic mediums and other similar services in 2017.
Russian Witches Cast Spells in Putin’s Support (Video)

haha

800,000 employed or whatever in this "field", imagine that...

Very, very superstitious people over there...

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
They supposedly can "cure" your husband of alcoholism (via so-called "coding" - putting him into an unconscious state with hypnosis and deliberately introduced subconscious psychological aversion to booze; this one has, at least, been scientifically proven, sorta, over there; although, allegedly, it has negative side effects too, it can change the man's personality as well, essentially - turn him into an angry asshole, if he was a nice, jolly guy before; though, of course, I have heard detractors of this theory say any Russian man would become that way, if his wife forcibly deprives him of vodka long enough haha It's also temporary, you have to come in every couple months to "renew" your "code"...)
The nature of alcoholism is that an alcoholic who dries up just doesn't know how to get along without booze or deal with emotions, so he/she turns into an angry asshole. It is very common, worldwide. And, of course, the discomfort becomes so unbearable that the alcoholic eventually returns to drinking (and probably calms down a bit, too). This syndrome is what 12-step programs seeks to combat, so that an alcoholic can truly sober up and be able to live a decent life without alcohol. Hypnosis can presumably assist with this, but in the long term one needs tools to accomplish this consciously, not just unconsciously.

Nov 2018
Maryland
How dare a Catholic say such a thing? He should be locked up immediately!

Religion is the opium of the masses.