London high school bans Canada Goose jackets to protect poorer students

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Good or bad idea?

A high school in northwestern England is attempting to level the playing field for disadvantaged students by banning expensive Canada Goose and Moncler coats.

In a letter to parents at the beginning of November, the headteacher of Woodchurch High School in Birkenhead explained that the ban was coming in after Christmas as the school was "mindful that some young people put pressure on their parents to purchase expensive items of clothing." "These coats cause a lot of inequality between our pupils," headteacher Rebekah Phillips told CNN. "They stigmatize students and parents who are less well off and struggle financially." The blacklisted coats sell for as much as $1,200 -- a cost many parents will struggle to afford. "There has been feedback from children, who say 'Gosh, that is our rent for the month,'" Phillips said.

She said her attempt to "poverty-proof" the school, which has students between the ages of 11 and 16, has been well-received by parents. Phillips added that a former student wrote to her praising the move and saying that school should not be a place where students' "economic background is rubbed in their faces and distracts them from learning."

The school has also cut down non-uniform days -- days when students can wear their own choice of clothes to school -- to once a year, after complaints of children "being put down" for the clothes they wore, the headteacher added.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/uk/poverty-proof-school-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I have always been a proponent of a school uniform.
I agree but this obviously must be about their outerwear over their uniforms. I am a bit conflicted I must admit. I like school uniforms overall and I dont mind these bans for younger kids in elementary and middle school when they are very impressionable. However come high school, they need to start learning to be adults and living and working with others who are vastly different than they are. When they turn 18 and begin work they need to be able to adapt and not be thrust into something unknown.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Good or bad idea?

A high school in northwestern England is attempting to level the playing field for disadvantaged students by banning expensive Canada Goose and Moncler coats.

In a letter to parents at the beginning of November, the headteacher of Woodchurch High School in Birkenhead explained that the ban was coming in after Christmas as the school was "mindful that some young people put pressure on their parents to purchase expensive items of clothing." "These coats cause a lot of inequality between our pupils," headteacher Rebekah Phillips told CNN. "They stigmatize students and parents who are less well off and struggle financially." The blacklisted coats sell for as much as $1,200 -- a cost many parents will struggle to afford. "There has been feedback from children, who say 'Gosh, that is our rent for the month,'" Phillips said.

She said her attempt to "poverty-proof" the school, which has students between the ages of 11 and 16, has been well-received by parents. Phillips added that a former student wrote to her praising the move and saying that school should not be a place where students' "economic background is rubbed in their faces and distracts them from learning."

The school has also cut down non-uniform days -- days when students can wear their own choice of clothes to school -- to once a year, after complaints of children "being put down" for the clothes they wore, the headteacher added.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/uk/poverty-proof-school-gbr-scli-intl/index.html
It's a stupid idea, but even dumber for a parent to cave to such bullshit. And I don't have a lot of respect for a kid who pressures their parents to buy something so overpriced.

Consumerism is a moral plague on society. I remember when the Marcos's were run out of office people were appalled that Imelda had 3000 pairs of shoes. That's practically normal now. And then it's seen as perfectly acceptable for the haves to rub their wealth in the faces of the have nots.

How insecure do you have to be to spend that kind of money just to fit in?

IMO there's so many levels of wrong about this I could rant all day.

Suffice to say I'm glad I never had kids.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It's a stupid idea, but even dumber for a parent to cave to such bullshit. And I don't have a lot of respect for a kid who pressures their parents to buy something so overpriced.

Consumerism is a moral plague on society. I remember when the Marcos's were run out of office people were appalled that Imelda had 3000 pairs of shoes. That's practically normal now. And then it's seen as perfectly acceptable for the haves to rub their wealth in the faces of the have nots.

How insecure do you have to be to spend that kind of money just to fit in?

IMO there's so many levels of wrong about this I could rant all day.

Suffice to say I'm glad I never had kids.
I grew up poor in the 80s and it was hard seeing kids with designer jeans and expensive shoes. But nowadays, kids all have ipads, cellphones etc. I read where toys for 5 year olds are super expensive because they all want computer stuff.