Longtime GOP Rep. Peter King announces retirement

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Washington (CNN)Longtime GOP Rep. Peter King announced on Monday he will not seek another term in office, becoming the latest in a growing list of Republicans who are not seeking reelection in 2020.
King, a former chairman of the House Homeland Security committee, is perhaps best known for his outspoken calls for strict anti-terrorism measures. He's represented part of Long Island in Congress since 1993 and said Monday he plans to finish out his current term.
King said he was retiring so he can live full-time in New York and spend more time with his family.

interesting how so many Republican members of Congress are suddenly discovering they have a family .

May 2019
midwest
It appears Ballotpedia has already updated its page regarding the US House 2020. And to think that the idiot in chief Trump thinks the GOP can regain the House in the next election. Hahaha.
:cool:

As of October 17, 2019, Democrats held a 234-197 majority in the House, with one independent member and three vacancies.
  • Democratic Party 8 Democratic members of the U.S. House
  • Republican Party 20 Republican members of the U.S. House

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Washington (CNN)Longtime GOP Rep. Peter King announced on Monday he will not seek another term in office, becoming the latest in a growing list of Republicans who are not seeking reelection in 2020.
King, a former chairman of the House Homeland Security committee, is perhaps best known for his outspoken calls for strict anti-terrorism measures. He's represented part of Long Island in Congress since 1993 and said Monday he plans to finish out his current term.
King said he was retiring so he can live full-time in New York and spend more time with his family.

interesting how so many Republican members of Congress are suddenly discovering they have a family .
Agreed about the "suddenly" large amount of Republicans trying to run from Washington, DC. I wonder why? LOL

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
"So far, more than three dozen Republican House members and three senators have announced that they will not be running for re-election in November — the highest number since World War II, according to the Brookings Institution. By contrast, only 17 Democrats are retiring.

*Skip*

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
"So far, more than three dozen Republican House members and three senators have announced that they will not be running for re-election in November — the highest number since World War II, according to the Brookings Institution. By contrast, only 17 Democrats are retiring.

*Skip*

I think its a bit of a combination. Some are retiring because they dont want to fight to win or fear losing, while some others are going because its time. As we all know the average age of a member of the House is in their 60s and its good to see some finally deciding its time. We also are likely to see mass retirements over the next 4-5 years on both sides since so many are old.

Reactions: Madeline

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
He was a decent rep for my district. I didn’t always see eye to eye with him. Unfortunately, he may be more concerned about a backlash. He is likely retiring because his proTrump stance may cause him to lose regardless.

Reactions: Madeline
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I think its a bit of a combination. Some are retiring because they dont want to fight to win or fear losing, while some others are going because its time. As we all know the average age of a member of the House is in their 60s and its good to see some finally deciding its time. We also are likely to see mass retirements over the next 4-5 years on both sides since so many are old.
There is declining interest in the GOP across the country, IMO. Either leaders must reclaim the party from Trump or be contented to lead a ever-smaller group.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
He was a decent rep for my district. I didn’t always see eye to eye with him. Unfortunately, he may be more concerned about a backlash. He is likely retiring because his proTrump stance may cause him to lose regardless.
True but he was relatively moderate compared to others. Its a shame but he also has served for over 30 years. I felt it was worse to hear younger guys like Will Hurd leaving.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
There is declining interest in the GOP across the country, IMO. Either leaders must reclaim the party from Trump or be contented to lead a ever-smaller group.

Certainly true. Problem is we often throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not all were like that but they get caught up in it too. Similar thing happened to democrats under Obama with the tea party. Its never a good thing to allow either party to gain all control. Its good to have an opposing side.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Given the read of his statement, it seems this is almost certainly not related to impeachment, except in the most indirect sense.

That being, the aftermath of all of this has made New York even more blue (Staten Island went blue for the first time in a while last year), and most likely, King would have to fight like hell to hang on to his seat. What would he get out of it? Almost certainly, another term in the minority, and probably, a Democrat in the White House.

Old guys like him have better things to do, so he's leaving. Yet he will not suddenly do what Democrats want him to do. He's a party man. He will vote No on impeachment.

Reactions: Jets and bajisima