Looks like jobs will be coming back to the Lordstown, Ohio area

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sounds like good news.

General Motors (GM) and South Korean company LG Chem announced Thursday that they will begin producing battery cells for electric vehicles at a new plant in Ohio.

The companies plan to invest a total of $2.3 billion in the facility, which is expected to create 1,100 new jobs, according to a GM statement. The plant will be near Lordstown, where GM sold a facility this year.

“With this investment, Ohio and its highly capable workforce will play a key role in our journey toward a world with zero emissions,” GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra said in the statement. Barra told reporters, “This is very significant with 1,100 jobs. We think this is very important for the state of Ohio, and they have a very capable work force and this will help us succeed,” according to the newspaper.

The facility's groundbreaking is expected during the middle of next year.

"Last month’s announcement that Lordstown Motors will build electric trucks here and today’s announcement that GM-LG Chem will manufacture electric batteries here, underscore the leading role our community will play in the electric vehicle revolution happening today," he added.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I'll believe it when I see it and I can't wait to see how much the taxpayers had to shell out for this Christmas miracle.
Cant find much about that. But it looks like LG has been planning this for over a year and Barra may have convinced them to build in Ohio instead of CA. Hopefully it will work out.

Reactions: Panzareta

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Cant find much about that. But it looks like LG has been planning this for over a year and Barra may have convinced them to build in Ohio instead of CA. Hopefully it will work out.
I hope so too

I was watching a story on TV about Lordstown and how they have been basically wiped out when GM closed down there. They were the biggest employer in the city.

Reactions: HCProf and bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I hope so too

I was watching a story on TV about Lordstown and how they have been basically wiped out when GM closed down there. They were the biggest employer in the city.
So many of the electric vehicle jobs require some college, so a lot of those companies are going to CA, MA etc where they have a big choice of who to hire. We have a small start up company here that makes parts for EVs and the minimum education is a bachelors degree. Its going to change the industry and likely end the UAW at some point.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
So many of the electric vehicle jobs require some college, so a lot of those companies are going to CA, MA etc where they have a big choice of who to hire. We have a small start up company here that makes parts for EVs and the minimum education is a bachelors degree. Its going to change the industry and likely end the UAW at some point.
What would be great is if GM offered to help pay some of those college fees for people they think would be a good "fit"

And does it really require a BA? How about a trade school or specialized classes at the Community College?

Reactions: Madeline
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
What would be great is if GM offered to help pay some of those college fees for people they think would be a good "fit"

And does it really require a BA? How about a trade school or specialized classes at the Community College?
Good idea. Companies used to train people as well. A lot of companies dont really need a BA but they require it. Even our admin assts and HR must have BAs. Yet just 5-10 years ago the older workers who did that exact job didnt have more than a high school diploma. With fewer kids going to college and others choosing two year schools, companies need to rethink a lot of these jobs.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Sounds like good news.

General Motors (GM) and South Korean company LG Chem announced Thursday that they will begin producing battery cells for electric vehicles at a new plant in Ohio.

The companies plan to invest a total of $2.3 billion in the facility, which is expected to create 1,100 new jobs, according to a GM statement. The plant will be near Lordstown, where GM sold a facility this year.

“With this investment, Ohio and its highly capable workforce will play a key role in our journey toward a world with zero emissions,” GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra said in the statement. Barra told reporters, “This is very significant with 1,100 jobs. We think this is very important for the state of Ohio, and they have a very capable work force and this will help us succeed,” according to the newspaper.

The facility's groundbreaking is expected during the middle of next year.

"Last month’s announcement that Lordstown Motors will build electric trucks here and today’s announcement that GM-LG Chem will manufacture electric batteries here, underscore the leading role our community will play in the electric vehicle revolution happening today," he added.

This is MAGA folks