Looks like Sears is done

Mar 2010
Indiana
Everything comes to an end. I have fond memories of our family going to McDonalds in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and Sears in Leominster the same evening on a Saturday night way back in the late 60's. I was a regular in the Sporting Goods Department looking at fishing tackle.

Someday Walmart will meet it's Waterloo. I see Dollar General is cutting into their sales by setting up in small towns. And Walmart has actually closed stores recently. Amazon is a threat to all retailers including Walmart.

Last edited:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Everything comes to an end. I have fond memories of our family going to McDonalds in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and Sears in Leominster the same evening on a Saturday night way back I the late 60's. I was a regular in the Sporting Goods Department looking at fishing tackle.

Someday Walmart will meet it's Waterloo. I see Dollar General is cutting into their sales by setting up in small towns. And Walmart has actually closed stores recently. Amazon is a threat to all retailers including Walmart.
Yea its the end of an era in so many ways. I see it in my kids who refuse to go to a human cashier when they shop. They dont even want to interact with people in stores and favor either shopping online as much as possible but also hate servers and favor kiosks. They dont even go grocery shopping, they do those order and go systems where you shop and pay online and then drive up and they load the car. Its making them very much like hermits.

Dec 2018
Florida
Everything comes to an end. I have fond memories of our family going to McDonalds in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and Sears in Leominster the same evening on a Saturday night way back I the late 60's. I was a regular in the Sporting Goods Department looking at fishing tackle.

Dollar General grew during the recession. I actually will frequently buy name brand items and other basics there. They are almost always a convenient stop and cheap as well. I avoid Walmart when possible.

Dec 2018
Florida
How do you compete? Treat your stores like warehouses for online shopping. Sell stuff in your stores you can’t sell online (guns, appliances, and so on), and most importantly? Reduce your real estate. Malls are dead. Sears is in a lot of malls. Should have changed with the times.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
How do you compete? Treat your stores like warehouses for online shopping. Sell stuff in your stores you can’t sell online (guns, appliances, and so on), and most importantly? Reduce your real estate. Malls are dead. Sears is in a lot of malls. Should have changed with the times.
Yea I guess. We had an article locally that said if we head into another recession, downtowns might be next. Boutique and specialty stores are a bit more expensive but fill a certain niche. Last week my son actually ordered a battery for his car online. Paid a stupid $40 hazmat fee. Could have gone down to the auto parts store and paid less. But "would have to talk, interact and all that." Geez.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Yea its the end of an era in so many ways. I see it in my kids who refuse to go to a human cashier when they shop. They dont even want to interact with people in stores and favor either shopping online as much as possible but also hate servers and favor kiosks. They dont even go grocery shopping, they do those order and go systems where you shop and pay online and then drive up and they load the car. Its making them very much like hermits.
I don't think the changes are as bad as some make it out to be. I know there were worries about the automobile and flying etc. Someone was once sure that going over 20 mph in an automobile would cause brain damage! I'm sure electricity had it's doomsayers too. And I am running into some darn good examples of the younger generation. I see some working their hearts out in dead end minimum wage food server jobs with college degree debt, but they still perform admirably. Every older generation criticizes the younger generation. Even Aristotle was quoted as such.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Dollar General grew during the recession. I actually will frequently buy name brand items and other basics there. They are almost always a convenient stop and cheap as well. I avoid Walmart when possible.
Ditto. I hate the large parking lots of Walmart and driving to Walmart, which here is at least is a half hour away. Our Dollar General is only 2.5 miles away in town.

My brother worked at Walmart during the recession. Had nothing good to say about the way they treat their employees.