Looks like Sears is done

Dec 2018
Florida
Actually, a ton of people still shop at Dollar General. They are expanding in a big way

Dollar General is growing at breakneck speed, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

The discount chain, known for being a bargain hunter's paradise, has quietly become one of the largest retailers in the United States in terms of store count. It has 15,227 stores across 44 states.

By comparison, Walmart has 5,352 stores in the US, CVS 9,800, Kroger 2,765, Target 1,850, and Home Depot more than 2,200.

In fact, Dollar General has grown so much that it has even eclipsed two of the most-stored brands in the sector: McDonald's and Starbucks, which have around 14,000 and 14,600 locations, respectively. It loses out only to Subway, which has around 25,800 US locations.

Dollar General has suddenly become one of the biggest retailers in the US by store count

Kind of seems like an indication to me that not everyone is benefitting from the current economy.
Those who have gotten involved in Dollar General shipping have.

Dec 2018
Florida
They are huge in NASCAR. They were bought by private equity a few years back but then became public. The original founding family has no affiliation there anymore.
Not really what I meant. I meant their investors and then the places that decided to be their base for shipping operations. Those kinds of facilities bring in tons of money and jobs for low income/low skill labor. Plus all the drivers and jobs and stuff to go with it.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I absolutely HATE Walmart. I have anxiety attacks and road rage when I go there. Lol! I like going to Kmart instead, so this makes me sad. We do have Dollar General and Dollar Tree here, and I like those stores, it just doesn't carry everything we need.
I hate Wal Mart too. Primarily because they put a lot of crap in the aisles making it a PITA to even shop there.

Luckily I have a Super Target 5 minutes away. Big spacious store, can also get my groceries there.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Agree except when the automobile and flying came to be, humans were still the necessary agent to make them work. Nowadays the jobs arent just replaced by another human, they are replaced with a computer or robot. So the concern I think is what happens to that single mom that needs to work mothers hours if her job is automated? It does make what we are facing now a bit different than the days of the auto replacing the horse. Tons of people were still needed.
Someone human still needs to support that machine in some way. There are still people making the hamburgers and fries at McDonalds. As a business you still need a face to greet the customers. I can't imagine a McDonald's that is 100 percent machine. People would go elsewhere. Even a vending machine needs someone to fill it.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Actually, a ton of people still shop at Dollar General. They are expanding in a big way

Dollar General is growing at breakneck speed, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

The discount chain, known for being a bargain hunter's paradise, has quietly become one of the largest retailers in the United States in terms of store count. It has 15,227 stores across 44 states.

By comparison, Walmart has 5,352 stores in the US, CVS 9,800, Kroger 2,765, Target 1,850, and Home Depot more than 2,200.

In fact, Dollar General has grown so much that it has even eclipsed two of the most-stored brands in the sector: McDonald's and Starbucks, which have around 14,000 and 14,600 locations, respectively. It loses out only to Subway, which has around 25,800 US locations.

Dollar General has suddenly become one of the biggest retailers in the US by store count

Kind of seems like an indication to me that not everyone is benefitting from the current economy.
In my limited travels they seem to be in just about every small town or in the process of doing so.