Losing biodiversity in our food supply

Oct 2013
Sweden
How Biodiversity?Not Toxic Monocultures?Sustainably and Efficiently Feeds the World | Alternet

More than seven thousand species have fed humanity throughout history:

compared to now

But today, just thirty crops provide90 percent of the calories in the human diet, and only three species—rice, wheat, and maize—account for more than 50 percent of our calorie intake. According to the State of the World’s Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture, of the 7,098 apple varieties documented in the United States in the beginning of the twentieth century, 96 percent have been lost. Additionally, 95 percent of the cabbage, 91 percent of the field maize, 94 percent of the pea, and 81 percent of the tomato varieties have also been lost. In Mexico, of all the varieties of corn reported in 1930, only 20 percent exist today.

This is one problem with profit drive, of course its going to ignore whats good for human health or environment....when those compete with profit motives, it would make sense that a corp who exists to create profit will choose profit and sacrifice those other things...............and with corrupted govts filled with individuals who can benefit in their short life time by fucking us over long term, we have no limitation that we can effectively use to reign in those who seek profit and are willing to sacrifice all else..ie all thats important to us as a species.

We need to be more choosy about where we decide that "markets" and "profit drive" are whats central to creation/innovation/execution in that area..ie health care, prisons, water, food infrastructure, transportation, education....does a profit motive as king in those areas end up serving us well?

Reactions: 5 people
Mar 2015
UK
I live not far from the 'Kingston' market, they always have weird and wonderful varieties of fruit and veg, and I am always willing to take a chance... I've been to farmers markets in other countries who are keeping alive the old varieties, go look for them you will not be disappointed.. bring back flavor to your live..

Reactions: 4 people
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Nashville has a Great Farmers Market, wife and I shop there throughout the growing season, the place is huge, dozens of vendors from local farms, and always packed with customers. Many cities throughout the country have these venues.

Reactions: 2 people
May 2013
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
People are wising up to poison food and water - thank God for farmer's markets and organic.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
People are wising up to poison food and water - thank God for farmer's markets and organic.
Seems a lot of people are but Monsanto still has a huge hold on our politicians. Its why GMO legislation has only passed in Vermont and Hawaii, the 2 most progressive states. Everyone else is bought and paid for, which is why Monsanto has given us several FDA chiefs.

Reactions: 3 people
May 2013
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
If people knew the condition of their drinking water (in cities), they'd lynch the bastards responsible!

Reactions: 6 people
Sep 2013
On a hill
Seems a lot of people are but Monsanto still has a huge hold on our politicians. Its why GMO legislation has only passed in Vermont and Hawaii, the 2 most progressive states. Everyone else is bought and paid for, which is why Monsanto has given us several FDA chiefs.
The county I live in in California voted to keep GMOs out.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Nov 2010
The future might have to be artificial meats, which is possible, growing stem cells to grow into muscle. Soylent Green!!!

WE are totally decimating the ocean, that's for sure