Lugar's goodbye dissecting everything he sees wrong with Washington and both parties

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
First Read - Lugar's goodbye

Lugar's goodbye letter is real American and exceptional advice for both parties. I feel that the TeaTwingers may have notched another victory here but it is my hope and beleif that they are trading a short term victory at the expense of our country and one hoopes that this type of $h1t will bite them in the ass sooner thanlater.

What do you guys think ????

EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE LINK I think that his letter has such merit that I post it here.
Prepared Statement of Senator Richard G. Lugar on the Concluded Indiana Senate Primary

May 8, 2012

I would like to comment on the Senate race just concluded and the direction of American politics and the Republican Party. I would reiterate from my earlier statement that I have no regrets about choosing to run for office. My health is excellent, I believe that I have been a very effective Senator for Hoosiers and for the country, and I know that the next six years would have been a time of great achievement. Further, I believed that vital national priorities, including job creation, deficit reduction, energy security, agriculture reform, and the Nunn-Lugar program, would benefit from my continued service as a Senator. These goals were worth the risk of an electoral defeat and the costs of a hard campaign.

Jan 2012
New Jersey

Lugar's goodbye letter is real American and exceptional advice for both parties. I feel that the TeaTwingers may have notched another victory here but it is my hope and beleif that they are trading a short term victory at the expense of our country and one hoopes that this type of $h1t will bite them in the ass sooner thanlater.

EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE LINK I think that his letter has such merit that I post it here.
The tea party has done alot of harm to the republican party. They refuse to compromise on any level and it has to be all their way. A democracy cannot function like that and it is quite obvious as you look at the passage record of congress since the republicans gained control. There has to be compromise (the dirty word to the tp's) for a government to proceed toward the future. They want anyone who is moderate or who has supported a democratic bill to be gone. I hope voters see that we cannot continue down this path.

Red Eft

Former Staff
May 2007
More of the letter.....

But I knew that I would face an extremely strong anti-incumbent mood following a recession. I knew that my work with then-Senator Barack Obama would be used against me, even if our relationship were overhyped. I also knew from the races in 2010 that I was a likely target of Club for Growth, FreedomWorks and other Super Pacs dedicated to defeating at least one Republican as a purification exercise to enhance their influence over other Republican legislators.
If Mr. Mourdock is elected, I want him to be a good Senator. But that will require him to revise his stated goal of bringing more partisanship to Washington. He and I share many positions, but his embrace of an unrelenting partisan mindset is irreconcilable with my philosophy of governance and my experience of what brings results for Hoosiers in the Senate. In effect, what he has promised in this campaign is reflexive votes for a rejectionist orthodoxy and rigid opposition to the actions and proposals of the other party. His answer to the inevitable roadblocks he will encounter in Congress is merely to campaign for more Republicans who embrace the same partisan outlook. He has pledged his support to groups whose prime mission is to cleanse the Republican party of those who stray from orthodoxy as they see it.

It's a similar sentiment that ex-Gov. of CA Ahnold wrote recently...see my siggie. The crazies are taking over.

Dec 2011
Seattle

A smidge verbose. And some classy stuff along with lots of debreifing of his failure, which in letter form seems more like excuses. Lugar was okay by Republican senator standards. But the nutjob that Teas, at al replaced him with in the primaries is a bit frightening, since that would be unelectable in most states, but not fucking Indiana. And the Tea Party debacle in the Congressional Rep Caucus is a couple of years of nothing happening, which I suspect will be followed by Dems regaining control. Senators who are nutjobs can fuck things up for a long time. Send any dipshit to the House, but choose senators carefully.

Scary shit, IMO

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
The tea party has done alot of harm to the republican party. They refuse to compromise on any level and it has to be all their way. A democracy cannot function like that and it is quite obvious as you look at the passage record of congress since the republicans gained control. There has to be compromise (the dirty word to the tp's) for a government to proceed toward the future. They want anyone who is moderate or who has supported a democratic bill to be gone. I hope voters see that we cannot continue down this path.
and .....welcome aboard jersey girl

Mar 2012
Why compromise? Democrats have long used "compromise" to socialize the country little by little. Compromise got us a huge welfare state, huge debt, and bailouts. Maybe we compromised too much?

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
Why compromise? Democrats have long used "compromise" to socialize the country little by little. Compromise got us a huge welfare state, huge debt, and bailouts. Maybe we compromised too much?
I will ignore your socialize comments for they are truly worth only as disambiguation. Now why cannot you be honest and agree that Republicans Fueled DEBT levels starting with saint Ronnie Reagan and added to by Bushko II. Certain bailouts such as GM and Chrysler turned out pretrty well. Yet als seeing it that way requires open minded thinking ..

BTW do not shit on compromise because if our founding fathers did not compromise we may not be a country at this time or we could have ended up like Canuckistan.... almost a real independent country...

Last edited:
Oct 2010
around the time of the Reagan revolution, Moderates were losing their re-election bids just as Lugar did this year.

Compromise became a dirty word to hard core Repubs.

Sad actually, they replace Statesmen with politicians.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
Isn't it sad that when the extremists of the GOP are not able to state a logical or intelligent argument they resort to the lies and the S word....