Macron Invites Trump to Paris for Bastille Day

Mar 2010
out
Macron Invites Trump to Paris for Bastille Day

By AURELIEN BREEDEN
JUNE 27, 2017

PARIS — They have had their differences, but when President Emmanuel Macron of France and President Trump spoke by telephone on Tuesday about the threat of a new chemical weapons attack by Syria, Mr. Macron seized the opportunity and invited Mr. Trump to Paris for Bastille Day.

It was not immediately clear whether Mr. Trump would accept the invitation, which was also extended to his wife, Melania, according to a statement from the Élysée Palace. But the traditional military parade in Paris on this Bastille Day, July 14, will also commemorate the 100th anniversary of America’s entry into World War I to fight alongside the French, British and other Allies.

While relations between French and American leaders have been marked by friendship and friction since then, Mr. Macron and Mr. Trump got off to a rocky start.

During the French presidential election, Mr. Trump did little to conceal his preference for Mr. Macron’s chief opponent, Marine Le Pen of the far-right National Front.
It is with great honour that France will welcome the President of the United States of America to celebrate with us on Bastille Day.

Especially since this year we also are to commemorate the USA joining the war alongside the allies in 1917, even though some of Mr Trump's rhetoric indicate that he may not have joined that war.

Nevertheless, we will do our best to put our differences aside for this special holiday, and try not to imagine that Mr Trump would probably have sided with Louis the XVI.

Mar 2010
out
Mayhaps I was a bit unfair in my previous paragraph.

I mean, considering that almost everyone (but the revolutionary French) was siding with Louis the XVI, Mr Trump may have taken a different approach.

Besides, it's not as if American leaders of that era had been very supportive of the French revolution in the first place.

Any cake?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Macron's a smart guy. He knows that Donald Trump is a raging narcissist. He knows that the way into Donald Trump's heart is to flatter and praise him. Most of the world's foreign leaders know this by now.

But I'm glad Mr. Macron did not let Donald Trump get away with that stupid alpha-male handshake thing. Mr. Trump DOES need to learn that there are OTHER alpha males in this world.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Mayhaps I was a bit unfair in my previous paragraph.

I mean, considering that almost everyone (but the revolutionary French) was siding with Louis the XVI, Mr Trump may have taken a different approach.

Besides, it's not as if American leaders of that era had been very supportive of the French revolution in the first place.

Any cake?
More likely, trump would like to BE Louis XVI...before the Revolution. He would be well advised to pay attention to that History lesson.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I would get pay-per-view for part 2 of that handshake.

I will clear my schedule for that. Please make this happen.
Mr. Trump has been preparing for the contest with daily hand exercises in the White House gym. But Mr. Macron has not been idle, either; his physicians have been giving him regular steroid injections in his palm.

It is going to be QUITE the sporting event!

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Macron is awesome. And yeah, we fucked the French over royally during their own revolution. Also too, there are the shitheads here who refer to the French in vile terms and say stupid shit about what language the French would be speaking if not for us. Of course, those people are ignorant of history and are knuckle dragging supporters of the shitgibbon in the White House.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Macron is awesome. And yeah, we fucked the French over royally during their own revolution. Also too, there are the shitheads here who refer to the French in vile terms and say stupid shit about what language the French would be speaking if not for us. Of course, those people are ignorant of history and are knuckle dragging supporters of the shitgibbon in the White House.
Macron is awesome, and so is Justin Trudeau of Canada. I would trade our leader for either of them in a HEARTBEAT.

But if we ARE going to make such a trade, let's trade with Canada.

France has got nukes. Canada does not.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Trump is going to Paris!
Trump is going to France!
And all of us had better hope
He does not take off his pants!

He just might want to do that,
To show the world what's what!
To show how well-endowed he is,
And then moon you with his butt!