'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
If one dose provides positive improvement in 60% of patients, I wonder what a few dozen or a hundred doses would do?

'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term - USATODAY.com
n new research that will almost certainly create controversy, scientists working with the hallucinogen psilocybin -- the active ingredient found in "magic mushrooms" -- have found that a single dose of the drug prompted an enduring but positive personality change in almost 60 percent of patients.

Aug 2011
If one dose provides positive improvement in 60% of patients, I wonder what a few dozen or a hundred doses would do?

'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term - USATODAY.com
Ever taken shrooms?

I have and I partially agree with this study, mainly because I've only had good trips, and they are wonderful.

But I've known people that had bad bad trips and they aren't really the same afterwards. I know a couple people who have taken way too much too many times and they are basically a different person, and not in a good way. Like they are just distant all the time. Mushrooms can exhibit spiritual experiences but theres a dark side too, and it's not pretty.

In saying that, I think shrooms should be legalized for anyone to use, they should just know what they're getting into first.

Aug 2010
As a person who believes individual liberty, I agree with the legalization of these and other drugs. Like alcohol, the use should only be restricted by age and place. However, in order to protect our nation, I'd also recommend a strong education system be in place so citizens can make informed choices when it comes to using drugs or engaging in other risky behavior.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Ever taken shrooms?

I have and I partially agree with this study, mainly because I've only had good trips, and they are wonderful.

But I've known people that had bad bad trips and they aren't really the same afterwards. I know a couple people who have taken way too much too many times and they are basically a different person, and not in a good way. Like they are just distant all the time. Mushrooms can exhibit spiritual experiences but theres a dark side too, and it's not pretty.

In saying that, I think shrooms should be legalized for anyone to use, they should just know what they're getting into first.
One thing to remember is that the combinations of chemicals in various plants can vary widely, plus anything obtained in an illegal way has zero quality control. It's possible that those 'bad trips' were caused by bad 'shrooms.

How does one measure a 'positive' or 'negative' personality?

Aug 2010
How does one measure a 'positive' or 'negative' personality?
I would guess it is along the lines of a healthy outlook on the part of the person.

In their study, the Hopkins scientists were able to reliably induce transcendental experiences in volunteers, which offered long-lasting psychological growth and helped people find peace in their lives — without the negative effects.

"The important point here is that we found the sweet spot where we can optimize the positive persistent effects and avoid some of the fear and anxiety that can occur and can be quite disruptive," says lead author Roland Griffiths, professor of behavioral biology at Hopkins.

Read more: Study: Psilocybin, the Drug in 'Magic Mushrooms,' Lifts Mood and Increases Compassion Over the Long Term - - TIME Healthland

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I would guess it is along the lines of a healthy outlook on the part of the person.
This is actually kind of funny because there are all sorts of arguments within psychology about making it a science rather than something else, and I'm not sure how one measures 'transcendental' experiences or 'peace in their lives' in an empirical way. Just sayin'.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
Ever taken shrooms?

I love shrooms.... two years ago I ran across some and the wife has been bugging me to find them ever since, and she doesn't do any drugs.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
This is actually kind of funny because there are all sorts of arguments within psychology about making it a science rather than something else, and I'm not sure how one measures 'transcendental' experiences or 'peace in their lives' in an empirical way. Just sayin'.
I'd also say that any work in this area kind of scares me, since it appears to move toward chemical control of people's brains, and while this sort of study is pointed toward making people mentally healthier, the same sorts of research can serve as the basis of studies aimed at something less salutary. We know, for example, that our military and intelligence services have funded research aimed at creating some sort of drug (possibly administered via a gas) that would instill a sense of anxiety and panic in opposing troops. Wouldn't it be great to have a drug that would make people work really hard for practically nothing and yet be 'happy?'

The whole thing is too Brave New World for me.

Aug 2010
I'd be interested in knowing how they measure this too. It would probably involve brainwave or biochemical measurements to be truly objective.

Aug 2010
I'd also say that any work in this area kind of scares me, since it appears to move toward chemical control of people's brains, and while this sort of study is pointed toward making people mentally healthier, the same sorts of research can serve as the basis of studies aimed at something less salutary. We know, for example, that our military and intelligence services have funded research aimed at creating some sort of drug (possibly administered via a gas) that would instill a sense of anxiety and panic in opposing troops. Wouldn't it be great to have a drug that would make people work really hard for practically nothing and yet be 'happy?'

The whole thing is too Brave New World for me.
Always a possibility, but if we let fear of the unknown control our desire to seek knowledge we'd still be living in trees.