'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I'd be interested in knowing how they measure this too. It would probably involve brainwave or biochemical measurements to be truly objective.
It would be interesting if they did that--though it's more likely something they'd do with an fMRI because brainwaves really don't say that much about brain activity. More likely, they just had them fill out surveys.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Always a possibility, but if we let fear of the unknown control our desire to seek knowledge we'd still be living in trees.
It's not the unknown I fear. It's the small percentage of people with such huge amounts of money to invest and the ability to be secretive about it. Once you own everything, what else is there to go after but to control people?

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
It's not the unknown I fear. It's the small percentage of people with such huge amounts of money to invest and the ability to be secretive about it. Once you own everything, what else is there to go after but to control people?
It must be awful to always believe people are evil.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
It must be awful to always believe people are evil.
I don't believe people are evil. I think they are self-interested and often self-deluded. I think that the more successful people are, the more they lose touch with what motivated them in the first place. And I think those who control wealth lose touch with their humanity. So I don't think people are evil--I think there are things that we do that make us evil, though.

Aug 2010
I don't believe people are evil. I think they are self-interested and often self-deluded. I think that the more successful people are, the more they lose touch with what motivated them in the first place. And I think those who control wealth lose touch with their humanity. So I don't think people are evil--I think there are things that we do that make us evil, though.
I agree people are often self-interested and sometimes that can lead to self-delusion. Sometimes what we see as self-delusion is simply human limitations. Not everyone can run a mile in less than 5 minutes, fully understand the Theory of Relativity or compose a masterpiece.

Like the George Carlin bit about "stuff" and the need to buy a bigger house to keep our "stuff", the pursuit and acquisition of wealth has a downside of which losing touch with their humanity is only one of the risks. However, it's one thing to lose touch with one's fellows, but it is another to seek complete domination and subjugation of them.

Like the desire of some to build a wall between Mexico and the USA, I think those who fear a handful of people will completely mind-dominate the human race are greatly underestimating the resilient and innovative nature of human beings.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I agree people are often self-interested and sometimes that can lead to self-delusion. Sometimes what we see as self-delusion is simply human limitations. Not everyone can run a mile in less than 5 minutes, fully understand the Theory of Relativity or compose a masterpiece.

Like the George Carlin bit about "stuff" and the need to buy a bigger house to keep our "stuff", the pursuit and acquisition of wealth has a downside of which losing touch with their humanity is only one of the risks. However, it's one thing to lose touch with one's fellows, but it is another to seek complete domination and subjugation of them.

Like the desire of some to build a wall between Mexico and the USA, I think those who fear a handful of people will completely mind-dominate the human race are greatly underestimating the resilient and innovative nature of human beings.
Thanks for your respect of my position. But the difference between illegal aliens and the people I'm talking about is power and wealth, both of which are inherently corrupting. Add to that a very successful propaganda model, control of the media by a handful of corporations, the ability to make unlimited political contributions without revealing you've done so, and the stark disparities we see developing in wealth over the last few decades, and I don't think my fears are unfounded.

Aug 2010
Thanks for your respect of my position. But the difference between illegal aliens and the people I'm talking about is power and wealth, both of which are inherently corrupting. Add to that a very successful propaganda model, control of the media by a handful of corporations, the ability to make unlimited political contributions without revealing you've done so, and the stark disparities we see developing in wealth over the last few decades, and I don't think my fears are unfounded.
I can see why you are so fearful with that perception. Personally, being a student of history, I think these things have a way of working themselves out even if it usually involves with a violent "regime change" by the population.

It's how we got the Magna Carta and the Constitution of the United States of America. The past several thousand years of recorded human history have been very violent and filled with mistakes but we should never forget that for every step we've taken back, we've also taken two steps forward. You're old enough to remember the Sixties, the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement. Even though there is plenty of room for improvement and we shouldn't rest on our laurels, the fact remains we've made some very positive progress in the past 40 years much less the last 4000. The future contains risk, but I have faith the human race will not destroy itself since it has had the opportunity to do so many times and did not.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I can see why you are so fearful with that perception. Personally, being a student of history, I think these things have a way of working themselves out even if it usually involves with a violent "regime change" by the population.
Of course you're right. Even Hobbes assumed his leviathan would be fearful of a population too much terrorized by his power. But having to live through that kind of violent upheaval is something to fear.

It's how we got the Magna Carta and the Constitution of the United States of America. The past several thousand years of recorded human history have been very violent and filled with mistakes but we should never forget that for every step we've taken back, we've also taken two steps forward. You're old enough to remember the Sixties, the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement. Even though there is plenty of room for improvement and we shouldn't rest on our laurels, the fact remains we've made some very positive progress in the past 40 years much less the last 4000. The future contains risk, but I have faith the human race will not destroy itself since it has had the opportunity to do so many times and did not.
Yep, you can't fight the sweep of history, but we all have only one life to live, and we have to do it in these tumultuous years. I'm not sure how a shiny tomorrow in 50 years is much help to those of us writing words now.

I'm also not sure that we can develop the political will to take back the power anymore. There are simply too many distractions, too many ways to tune out, for most people.

Last edited:
Aug 2010
we all have only one life to live, and we have to do it in these tumultuous years.
Compared to the 1960s, I'd rather have "these tumultuous years". We do what we can in the short time we have on Earth. It's always a struggle to move forward, but, as a race, we always make progress.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Compared to the 1960s, I'd rather have "these tumultuous years". We do what we can in the short time we have on Earth. It's always a struggle to move forward, but, as a race, we always make progress.
Okay. I'm afraid of something more like the 1860's.