'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Okay. I'm afraid of something more like the 1860's.
Even if that did happen, at least it wouldn't be your nightmare scenario of 1984 with a minority few exerting mind control over the population through the miracle of chemistry.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I doubt any near-term feasibility of overt mind control. What's more bothersome to me is capitalization on people's addictive tendencies. Prescribe habit forming substances that people can swallow, smoke, shoot, snort or inhale and call it medicine, and they'll demand more all on their own. Then, because they will likely run out of money to pay for it if they haven't run out already, you need to socialize the cost. That's the real control going on. Mollify the responses to a deteriorating quality of life by keeping them high on the public dime.

I don't know a lot about hallucinogens but I do not believe they are addictive and I do believe they remain in your (nervous) system much longer than other substances (hence some of their dangers). So I'm not surprised they think it can cause seemingly permanent changes.

As for what defines the type of personality one would seek to permanently change, well, my mind goes immediately to the problematic personality disorders, most notably Borderline and Antisocial personalities. Some folks are so far gone and the problems so deeply rooted that virtually any change could be seen as a good change.

Last edited:

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Even if that did happen, at least it wouldn't be your nightmare scenario of 1984 with a minority few exerting mind control over the population through the miracle of chemistry.
No, it would be the nightmare scenario of a few minority exerting behavior control over the population through the miracle of gunpoint.

Aug 2010
No, it would be the nightmare scenario of a few minority exerting behavior control over the population through the miracle of gunpoint.
Only a temporary situation judging by human history. People are pretty resourceful and innovative. That's why I think a wall dividing the US and Mexico is stupid. People will just figure out how to go around it, under it, over it or through it. It might slow them down, but inevitably, it will prove useless. A complete waste of time and resources. Same goes for fears about the subjugation of mankind. We might destroy ourselves, but enslavement would only be temporary.

Aug 2010
I doubt any near-term feasibility of overt mind control. What's more bothersome to me is capitalization on people's addictive tendencies. Prescribe habit forming substances that people can swallow, smoke, shoot, snort or inhale and call it medicine, and they'll demand more all on their own.
Some, but not all or even most.

Liberals are more right about evolution than the Religious Right, but they also often forget the lessons of evolution. Liberals are nurturing and want to save everybody, but the fact is, some people are weak. You are correct, if given the opportunity, some people would destroy themselves with drugs, alcohol or other like substances. However, how many drug addicts do you know? How many people are addicted to crack, crystal meth, heroin or even consume mushrooms on a regular basis? I'm guessing not many. I don't know anyone who does, at least not addictively. I do know a couple who abuse alcohol too much, but they are lying-in-the-street drunks.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Liberals are more right about evolution than the Religious Right, but they also often forget the lessons of evolution. Liberals are nurturing and want to save everybody, but the fact is, some people are weak.
Very much agree.

You are correct, if given the opportunity, some people would destroy themselves with drugs, alcohol or other like substances. However, how many drug addicts do you know?
Personally, or professionally?

How many people are addicted to crack, crystal meth, heroin or even consume mushrooms on a regular basis? I'm guessing not many.
My concern wasn't about the illicit stuff, but rather about the prescribed stuff that we subsidize to keep people doped up so that they don't have to experience pain, anxiety, sleeplessness, or inattention. Perhaps for every hardcore addict out there, there are 3 who have formed habits with their prescribed and publicly subsidized medications, some of which are of the same substances as the hard stuff. Maybe that grows to 5 eventually. Or 10. When you call a substance "medicine," people might be more willing to give it a try. After all, they're just following doctor's orders.

Aug 2010
Personally, or professionally?
Personally. Some professions encounter zero percent and other professions, well, that's their job, so it's 100%. Most people don't live in neighborhoods with drug addicts, alcoholics and other folks who have a problem coping because the percentage is small. Not due to the drug laws either, IMHO. About 6% according to this link: https://www.ncjrs.gov/htm/chapter2.htm

My concern wasn't about the illicit stuff, but rather about the prescribed stuff that we subsidize to keep people doped up so that they don't have to experience pain, anxiety, sleeplessness, or inattention.
Sounds more like a problem with unscrupulous doctors rather than some secret plot by a Zionist cabal seeking to take over the world by addicting all of us to mind control drugs.

The Dr. Murray trial and the death of other celebrities from prescriptions supplied by private doctors points out the problem. While I disagree with this blog author's opinion to put all the blame on the patient, the article does point out the problem of mixing celebrities with private doctors. Doctors took an oath. Money or not, IMHO, they should have stuck by that oath or resigned as doctors.

David Hunter: Michael Jackson responsible for his own death » Knoxville News Sentinel
It's no secret that powerful people manage to break the rules by which most of us live. Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Margaux Hemingway, Heath Ledger and Anna Nicole Smith are just a few celebrities who had apparently been prescribed legal drugs in quantities the average person would never receive — by doctors awed by stardom.

Had the deceased patient been anyone but a celebrity, Murray's trial would not be the event of the month with thousands of dollars going down the drain every day to prosecute him for the death of a man who seems to have been intent on putting himself into a stupor as a regular part of his existence.

The difference between a drug addict and a person with eccentricities is usually wealth and power. Drug addicts die from overdoses every day and only family and friends hear about it.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Personally. Some professions encounter zero percent and other professions, well, that's their job, so it's 100%. Most people don't live in neighborhoods with drug addicts, alcoholics and other folks who have a problem coping because the percentage is small. Not due to the drug laws either, IMHO. About 6% according to this link: https://www.ncjrs.gov/htm/chapter2.htm
That is a lot of people. And when you add to it those who are dependent on prescriptions that make them more comfortable, the number swells much further.

Sounds more like a problem with unscrupulous doctors rather than some secret plot by a Zionist cabal seeking to take over the world by addicting all of us to mind control drugs.
My argument that addiction as profit, rather than mind control, is the more concerning. Also, the problem has several more layers than just the doctors. There are companies that manufacture them and bureaucrats that force us all to subsidize them.[/QUOTE]