'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
My argument that addiction as profit, rather than mind control, is the more concerning. Also, the problem has several more layers than just the doctors. There are companies that manufacture them and bureaucrats that force us all to subsidize them.
All good points, but I submit that the bureaucrats do it because we let them. If enough torches and pitchforks showed up on their lawns, they'd stop. The problem is, most people don't care. Given the stir created by both the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street, those attitudes may be changing.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
All good points, but I submit that the bureaucrats do it because we let them. If enough torches and pitchforks showed up on their lawns, they'd stop. The problem is, most people don't care. Given the stir created by both the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street, those attitudes may be changing.
One may hope, but I see both movements as too outcomes-focused. The TP movement being too focused on unseating Democrats with Republicans, and the OWS movement too focused on making sure rich stop getting so much richer...

...but neither looking in the mirror and asking themselves which of their own behaviors and decisions enabled the tides they now think they're stemming.

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
One may hope, but I see both movements as too outcomes-focused. The TP movement being too focused on unseating Democrats with Republicans, and the OWS movement too focused on making sure rich stop getting so much richer...

...but neither looking in the mirror and asking themselves which of their own behaviors and decisions enabled the tides they now think they're stemming.
I've never known a large movement to have a very high IQ. It's mostly emotionally driven since most people are emotionally driven. Still, it will bring about some change. Not enough for some, too much for others.