Maine Hospital Employees Made Wall of Shame for Disabled Patients

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

This is astonishing! So much hate for disabled people, and isn't a violation of HIPPA sometimes criminal? A single employment discrimination suit and one employee firing is not an adequate remedy.

And it took the hospital MONTHS to correct this!

Your thoughts?

Reactions: The Man

jacobfitcher

Former Staff
Nov 2014
Canada
How about a wall of shame with the photo and name of every person who participated in this?

"The shame wall was removed after four months, according to the report, although the hospital said it was removed in weeks." "Weeks"?! How about "within hours of it coming to our attention"? And every person involved disciplined. Minimum of a reprimand and a letter to their file, up to and including dismissal and loss of license.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America

This is astonishing! So much hate for disabled people, and isn't a violation of HIPPA sometimes criminal? A single employment discrimination suit and one employee firing is not an adequate remedy.

Your thoughts?
I think McCann, and any other patient who sues, will win her case. In addition, the hospital administrator should be canned and put on bedpan duty.

When she reported her coworkers in 2016, she said it took the hospital three to four months to remove the display, conclude an investigation and punish her coworkers. This was “an unacceptable delay,” according to the commission. (The hospital said it removed the wall of shame “within a matter of weeks,” according to the investigator’s report.)

McCann says three to four months, the hospital says "within a matter of weeks". What the hospital is overlooking is that it should have been "within a matter of minutes".

Nov 2013
None of your business

Your thoughts?

huge crime, hippa violations are not dismissed in a cavalier fashion, because they can cascade easily into other violations. those are some truly stupid people as they were indoctrinated thru training as to what the laws mean.

Mar 2010
Indiana
True but all of New England is strange quite honestly. Whenever I travel, thats what I often hear from others. "New England is weird or odd." lol
I guess I'm weird or odd as I would take Maine or New Hampshire in a heartbeat over Indiana.

Reactions: The Man
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
True but all of New England is strange quite honestly. Whenever I travel, thats what I often hear from others. "New England is weird or odd." lol
Austin, Texas is "weird" and they're proud of it. They even have t-shirts and bumper stickers declaring it.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
In Russian hospitals, they have similar issues with younger personnel, who are affected by "selfie fever" and apparently unable to resist taking photos, plenty of them in rather humiliating ways, with comatose or otherwise unconscious and helpless patients

Lots have been fired for such behavior over there...

Reactions: HCProf and bajisima