Major depression on the rise

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Major depression on the rise among everyone, new data shows
Biggest increase in diagnoses seen in teens

Major depression is on the rise among Americans from all age groups, but is rising fastest among teens and young adults, new health insurance data shows.

Depression rates also vary a lot state by state, with Rhode Island having the highest rate of depression at 6.4 percent. Hawaii has the lowest rate — 2.1 percent.

The findings cover people with commercial health insurance — Blue Cross and Blue Shield — so they’re not fully representative. But most people in the U.S. are covered by a commercial health plan.

[hr][/hr]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

Any idea why depression is on the rise?

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
That's not a question you should ask a bunch of political junkies. I can see the drift of speculation splitting in two directions.

Sep 2016
My own world
If you have a pessimist personality you are likely to get depressed. If you are full of negativity and see your fellow man as out for himself and out to harm you if he gets a chance you are likely to get depressed. Anybody who doesn’t know it’s on the rise hasn’t taken the temperature of the average person on the street. Thanks Trump.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
I do not have a “pessimist personality.” I got double-whammied by apparently inherited clinical depression as well as the PTSD version thereof. I, however, remain an optimist.

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
If you have a pessimist personality you are likely to get depressed. If you are full of negativity and see your fellow man as out for himself and out to harm you if he gets a chance you are likely to get depressed. Anybody who doesn’t know it’s on the rise hasn’t taken the temperature of the average person on the street. Thanks Trump.
I don't really agree with this assessment. People become depressed for a verity of reasons. Some people are extremely resistant to treatment.

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
I do not have a “pessimist personality.” I got double-whammied by apparently inherited clinical depression as well as the PTSD version thereof. I, however, remain an optimist.
Please watch this video when you get time. It's about EMDR.

[video=youtube;8aiS1Pa7QgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aiS1Pa7QgY[/video]

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Unemployment remains at a 48 year low and the GDP was 3.7% last quarter.

I think the only folks that are depressed are the ones watching/reading fake news MSM outlets like NBC.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Unemployment remains at a 48 year low and the GDP was 3.7% last quarter.

I think the only folks that are depressed are the ones watching/reading fake news MSM outlets like NBC.
Neither of those 'statistics' are true. Unemployment is at an 18-year low, though. And GDP was growing at a 2.9% rate in the 4th Quarter of last year. So it really shouldn't be the economy that is causing people to become depressed.

But having a snake-oil salesman, a huckster, and a fraud in the White House might explain some of it.