Making America Great Again - The Environment and Making Beads

May 2019
Los Alamos
Tues 6-11-19 12:51 p.m.

I learned many years ago that Indians traded Manhattan Island for beads and other trinkets. I would like to point out that fortunes have been spent acquiring Southwestern Indian / Other Native American Indian art and craft items. Frankly, I am in awe of some Native American Indian creations.

I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a temporary period during the Cerro Grande Fire. While there, I visited some of the craft shops on Canyon Road. One of the shops was selling Native American Indian artifacts. The owner was kind enough to show me a few precious samples. The owner produced a leather vest (or similar garment) with exquisitely crafted beadwork. The piece carried a price tag in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Some time ago, I was trying to figure out what to do with scrap plastic (for example, the covers from automotive aerosol spray cans, deodorant cans, etc.). So I used a soldering iron with a special flattened tip (made from Romex residential electric wire) and cut the covers down to create flat stock sheets. Then I used a leather punch to make plastic disks. Then I punched out the center of the disks using the leather punch. I made what are somewhat crude but colorful beads.

I am saddened when I see people out of work or with limited incomes. I am equally saddened when so much useful material is discarded in landfills. Perhaps even crudely-made beads could serve as a source of income for some enterprising soul in this Country of ours.

Regards,

Moderatevoter451

May 2019
Los Alamos
Tues 6-11-19 12:51 p.m.

I learned many years ago that Indians traded Manhattan Island for beads and other trinkets. I would like to point out that fortunes have been spent acquiring Southwestern Indian / Other Native American Indian art and craft items. Frankly, I am in awe of some Native American Indian creations.

I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a temporary period during the Cerro Grande Fire. While there, I visited some of the craft shops on Canyon Road. One of the shops was selling Native American Indian artifacts. The owner was kind enough to show me a few precious samples. The owner produced a leather vest (or similar garment) with exquisitely crafted beadwork. The piece carried a price tag in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Some time ago, I was trying to figure out what to do with scrap plastic (for example, the covers from automotive aerosol spray cans, deodorant cans, etc.). So I used a soldering iron with a special flattened tip (made from Romex residential electric wire) and cut the covers down to create flat stock sheets. Then I used a leather punch to make plastic disks. Then I punched out the center of the disks using the leather punch. I made what are somewhat crude but colorful beads.

I am saddened when I see people out of work or with limited incomes. I am equally saddened when so much useful material is discarded in landfills. Perhaps even crudely-made beads could serve as a source of income for some enterprising soul in this Country of ours.

Regards,

Moderatevoter451
Tues 6-11-19 2:29 p.m.

Now let's get the lawyers involved. They might ask, "How can I make some money from the bead-making effort." They might make a case for any of the following:
1) The beads have right angle cylindrical edges and might cause skin irritation if worn on bare skin. (Note: Many commercially-available beads are rounded and smooth. However, there are many pieces of diamond jewelry which are capable of scribing or cutting glass.) 2) A baby or small child might eat one of the beads. They may or may not get an upset stomach. (Note: There is the 3-second rule. If food falls on the floor and is picked up and eaten in 3-seconds, maybe the likelihood of picking up germs, etc. is relatively low. However, I am always amazed at what kids and pets find on the floor and stick in their mouths or what pets find and eat offthe floor.) 3) Maybe there is some residue left on some of the plastic scrap. So how does one go about cleaning and passivating scrap plastic so that there is no transfer of chemical, food, or other type of contamination to the end user of the beads.
Note: My hands never look particularly clean after I have been working around the engine in my automobile. And if one does nothing, that person's hands will probably remain fairly clean.)

So we are back to the web of policies, laws and regulations which govern the actions of folks in the Country of ours. Hence my inclusion of the bead-making proposal in the Political Discussion Section of the Political Hotwire.

Regards,

Moderatevoter451