Man Fired For Sharing His Faith on Facebook

Nov 2008
Washington state
It began as a normal day for Chris Routson as he prepared to go to work, until he received a phone call instructing him to come in a few hours later than normal. Chris worked at the Middletown, Ohio, Precision Strip metal processing plant for 13 years with a good employment standing.
Four years ago, he came to faith in Jesus Christ and began eagerly sharing his new-found faith with everyone, including his co-workers. One way he did that was through Facebook. One fellow employee he shared with was what Romans 1 calls a woman of “vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature.”

What he shared with her was Ray Comfort’s latest film Audacity, which shows that many Christians love homosexual individuals despite not agreeing with their life choices. When Chris arrived at work that day, he was directed to go to the manager’s office. On August 27, Routson was told that his employment was being terminated because he made co-workers feel uncomfortable. He was given no severance pay and denied unemployment.
“They said, ‘Someone said you didn’t make them feel comfortable.’ I said, ‘I sent out a video to share the Gospel just because it talks about homosexuality.’ They said, ‘You can’t do that. You can’t do that,'” explained Routson. “So, I said ‘I was just trying to share my faith with her and it doesn’t matter that I didn’t have a chance to work with her, I can share a link on Facebook on my own time right?’ They are like, ‘No, no, you can’t do that. You can’t be sharing with people on Facebook because they work here.'”
“They were saying that I can’t do that, but I have never seen anything that says I couldn’t,” Routson asserted.
Man Fired For Sharing His Faith!

This is crazy. Someone should not be fired for sharing something with an employee on Facebook. If a Christian can be fired for making someone feel uncomfortable on Facebook, then an Atheist could be fired for making a Christian uncomfortable. What ever happened to free speech? Guess that is not recognized if the employer disagrees with you.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Four years ago, he came to faith in Jesus Christ and began eagerly sharing his new-found faith with everyone, including his co-workers. One way he did that was through Facebook
What were the other ways. Sounds like some info was omitted from your article. Some workplaces have very strict policies about discussing religion or politics at work, since they often lead to arguments.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
It began as a normal day for Chris Routson as he prepared to go to work, until he received a phone call instructing him to come in a few hours later than normal. Chris worked at the Middletown, Ohio, Precision Strip metal processing plant for 13 years with a good employment standing.
Four years ago, he came to faith in Jesus Christ and began eagerly sharing his new-found faith with everyone, including his co-workers. One way he did that was through Facebook. One fellow employee he shared with was what Romans 1 calls a woman of “vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature.”

What he shared with her was Ray Comfort’s latest film Audacity, which shows that many Christians love homosexual individuals despite not agreeing with their life choices. When Chris arrived at work that day, he was directed to go to the manager’s office. On August 27, Routson was told that his employment was being terminated because he made co-workers feel uncomfortable. He was given no severance pay and denied unemployment.
“They said, ‘Someone said you didn’t make them feel comfortable.’ I said, ‘I sent out a video to share the Gospel just because it talks about homosexuality.’ They said, ‘You can’t do that. You can’t do that,'” explained Routson. “So, I said ‘I was just trying to share my faith with her and it doesn’t matter that I didn’t have a chance to work with her, I can share a link on Facebook on my own time right?’ They are like, ‘No, no, you can’t do that. You can’t be sharing with people on Facebook because they work here.'”
“They were saying that I can’t do that, but I have never seen anything that says I couldn’t,” Routson asserted.
Man Fired For Sharing His Faith!

This is crazy. Someone should not be fired for sharing something with an employee on Facebook. If a Christian can be fired for making someone feel uncomfortable on Facebook, then an Atheist could be fired for making a Christian uncomfortable. What ever happened to free speech? Guess that is not recognized if the employer disagrees with you.
Well first, he had no contract and could have been legally fired at any time. His supervisor was a moron to furnish an explanation.

So, if the at-will employee gets into the personal business of a fellow worker uninvited and makes that person uncomfy, could the religious motive insulate his bad behavior from the consequences? I doubt it.

This man needs counseling to re-learn proper social boundaries before his new-found faith completely tanks his life.

Nov 2008
Washington state
What were the other ways. Sounds like some info was omitted from your article. Some workplaces have very strict policies about discussing religion or politics at work, since they often lead to arguments.
He shared a Christian movie with Lesbian on Face Book and she probably felt like she was being harassed and complained to her boss.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Well first, he had no contract and could have been legally fired at any time. His supervisor was a moron to furnish an explanation.

So, if the at-will employee gets into the personal business of a fellow worker uninvited and makes that person uncomfy, could the religious motive insulate his bad behavior from the consequences? I doubt it.

This man needs counseling to re-learn proper social boundaries before his new-found faith completely tanks his life.
this just proves if one person does not like another persons ideas or beliefs they can complain to their boss and get them fired.

Reactions: Hognoxious
Nov 2013
NY
Good ! Of course he needed to get his dumb ass fired !!

You can believe whatever you want, but don't force your bullshit values and ideology on people who didn't ask you for your opinion on their lifestyle. Stand in the middle of the market place and preach whatever you want, make a public fool out of yourself, I don't care. You target me personally and intrude into my personal space, don't complain if you get your ass handed to you.