Man takes down neighbour's Nazi flag - burns it on social media

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Yes. I just said that it would not be a civil matter. It would a criminal. But a first offence would likely result in some sort of restorative justice agreement. Restitution to avoid a criminal record - with a peace bond.

Frankly -legally - I think if you don't mind paying the guy back for the flag, you can get away with this once with mostly a warning and paying the cost. Just once.

Someone on here - an American - has said that they drove through Ontario once and saw several Nazi flags on houses. It appears to be trendy these days. Especially in the small, white/native split towns.

It's basically a way to publically troll the local native Indians.
I don't agree. If the person wanted to press charges, they would not be obligated to accept restoration. This isn't Canada.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
"We"? Did you mean white supremacists? And when they do display their free speech, which is what it is under, they get free speech back...like burning the damn thing.
We, as in Americans, have the right to free speech including whatever flag we want to put up. And no one has the right to steal and burn it. One may do so, of course, and one may face the consequences and continue to look at the new flag the people put up.

Did I enjoy my neo-nazi neighbor whose friends would yell 'White Power' out the truck window as they sped away? No, I did not. But there wasn't anything to do about it unless they broke a law or HOA rule.

And no, I was not safe from them because I am white. He saw me everyday walking around with our black neighbor. The two of us were always up and down the stairs to each other's condos to go dog walking. That guy's live-in girlfriend was white, which is an abomination to white supremacists.

We had to live with that risk like we do all the others in life. At least he made himself known as someone to avoid. Never spoke one word to him the entire time he lived here. And that is what you do. Mind your own business.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
As a matter of fact, we do 'get' to do that.
Not around me. That would end with violence. Not being a tough guy or whatever, just stating a fact. Dude comes near me with a swastika flag, I will smash him, I don't care... For my grandparents, at the very least.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
We, as in Americans, have the right to free speech including whatever flag we want to put up. And no one has the right to steal and burn it. One may do so, of course, and one may face the consequences and continue to look at the new flag the people put up.

Did I enjoy my neo-nazi neighbor whose friends would yell 'White Power' out the truck window as they sped away? No, I did not. But there wasn't anything to do about it unless they broke a law or HOA rule.

And no, I was not safe from them because I am white. He saw me everyday walking around with our black neighbor. The two of us were always up and down the stairs to each other's condos to go dog walking. That guy's live-in girlfriend was white, which is an abomination to white supremacists.

We had to live with that risk like we do all the others in life. At least he made himself known as someone to avoid. Never spoke one word to him the entire time he lived here. And that is what you do. Mind your own business.
Perhaps exactly because, in your country, nobody wants to do something about such crap? Rather just "mind own business"...

What if all those Civil Rights activists in the 60s thought this way? Just saying...

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Not around me. That would end with violence. Not being a tough guy or whatever, just stating a fact. Dude comes near me with a swastika flag, I will smash him, I don't care... For my grandparents, at the very least.
Well, that is pretty dumb since you have a family - to become a felon. But whatever floats your boat.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Perhaps exactly because, in your country, nobody wants to do something about such crap? Rather just "mind own business"...

What if all those Civil Rights activists in the 60s thought this way? Just saying...
What should I have done? Attacked him? With no provocation? 'Officer, I assaulted him because I happen to know he's a white supremacist. He and his friends yell 'White Power' to each other, so he needed attacking. May I go now? Oh, put my hands behind my back, you say? Assault is a crime? I don't get away with it because I didn't like what he said?'

Well, shit. Now I have a violent criminal record. And for what?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Well, that is pretty dumb since you have a family - to become a felon. But whatever floats your boat.
What should I have done? Attacked him? With no provocation? 'Officer, I assaulted him because I happen to know he's a white supremacist. He and his friends yell 'White Power' to each other, so he needed attacking. May I go now? Oh, put my hands behind my back, you say? Assault is a crime? I don't get away with it because I didn't like what he said?'

Well, shit. Now I have a violent criminal record. And for what?
Duh... That's why you ambush the fucker where and when there aren't any witnesses and no way for him to prove what you did... ;)

Honestly... Today, yeah, I probably wouldn't do anything anymore. Exactly because of my family, as you say.

I have other ways though, you know... I run my own security company now. We do computer stuff too, background checks for employers and such, etc.

I could find out where the prick works, if anywhere. Get his ass canned :)

Among other things...