Manafort’s Light Sentence in Washington Owes to How Mueller Charged Him

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Facts make the difference. And why did Mueller yet again violate DOJ rules and practices?

In my column previewing today’s sentencing, I predicted that Manafort’s total sentence between the two cases would be closer to 20 years. I was wrong because I made a basic mistake: I focused myopically on the federal sentencing guidelines calculation in the plea agreement that Manafort signed with the special counsel when he pled guilty in Washington. I forgot that, in order to induce Manafort to plead guilty, the special counsel’s office sweetened the pot by capping his statutory exposure at ten years’ imprisonment.

Because the crimes Manafort admitted conspiring to commit are serious felonies (e.g., money laundering and witness tampering), his guidelines were very high, calling for a term of between 210 and 262 months (18 to 22 years) in prison. But prosecutors rendered the guidelines largely irrelevant by tucking the 20-year felonies into a pair of counts charged under a federal conspiracy provision that carries a maximum five-year sentence.

As I’ll come to, this violated Justice Department charging practices. For today’s purposes, though, the significant thing is that, in any situation where the sentence called for by the sentencing guidelines is greater than the maximum sentence permitted by the statutes of conviction, the statutes control. Therefore, even though the top guidelines-range sentence would have been 262 months, Judge Jackson was restricted to no more than 120 months.

She ended up imposing, in effect, 43 months, added on to the 47-month sentence imposed by Judge Ellis. Given the caterwauling that followed Ellis’s decision last week, there will no doubt be complaints that Jackson let Manafort off too easy. But if you feel that way, then Mueller shoulders much of the blame.

I have complained before about the special counsel’s flouting of Justice Department charging policies. Manafort’s two-count plea deal in the District of Columbia is a good example.

Paul Manafort's Sentancing — Robert Mueller Bent Rules, Hence the Light Sentence in D.C. | National Review

Jul 2016
DS9
The first presidential campaign manager in the history of this nation going to prison for a longer time than even the Watergate criminals.

Five (?) others facing sentencing. Three more pending trial.

"The very best."

Oct 2011
Washington State
It's a real pisser, isn't it? What happened to the pro law enforcement Republican's? :think:

Manafart got what he deserved. Apparently, Trump can't pardon him.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
LOL - Andrew McCarthy again?

And you do know that Manafort plea deal was thrown out the window when it was found out that he was actually giving information to the Trump Administration right?

Jan 2019
southeast
Why do you keep posting off topic over and over again?
The topic is about the businness Manafort had and his illegal activities which Podesta was a big part of. I see that as a good reason to speak about Podesta. What don't you like about it?

Jan 2019
southeast
LOL - Andrew McCarthy again?

And you do know that Manafort plea deal was thrown out the window when it was found out that he was actually giving information to the Trump Administration right?
That is not why he plea deal was thrown out. Inform yourself, please. It was thrown out because he was not cooperating with that piss-ass attorney, Wiseass.