Manafort Trial

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
The trial is set to begin this week! Here are some updates from this morning

CNN)[FONT=&amp]A federal judge in Alexandria, Virginia, has granted the request for five witnesses to testify with immunity in the criminal trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
US District Judge T.S. Ellis is also ordering the government to tell Manafort's team the nearly 30 witnesses they are going to use in the trial.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In addition, Ellis is expected to rule Monday on Manafort's request to delay the trial, slated to start this week.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/23/politics/manafort-witnesses-immunity/index.html

Not mentioned in the CNN article is that Ellis will make the 5 witnesses identities known to the public. So we should know very soon who they are.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Starting a trial with the defense unaware of any of the prosecution's witness's doesn't really sound like due process.
That can't be true. They have the right to full discovery. If it is true, then I don't see how this is conclusive and doesn't end in a mistrial or is not over turned.

Feb 2007
In my mind
What a fitting image for the presdient's former campaign manager. Wearing a jailhouse uniform while his lawyers argue minutia in court.

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
That can't be true. They have the right to full discovery. If it is true, then I don't see how this is conclusive and doesn't end in a mistrial or is not over turned.
In the state of Virginia defendants are not entitled to witness lists, witness statements, or even police reports.

The system need to be changed. But as it stands now those are the rules. Manafort is lucky the judge ruled to turn the witness list over at all.

https://scholarship.richmond.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1341&context=jolpi

Reactions: 1 person

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I wonder if Putin agreed to pay Manafort not to make a deal with prosecutors.

If Manafort had it made clear to him if he kept his mouth shut he'd receive a handsome monetary reward as opposed to death sentence if he talked and that Trump would pardon him and/or commute whatever sentence he received if being found guilty, it would make perfect sense for him not to cooperate.

And his lawyers have been given a list of potential jurors. I'm not sure I'd want to be on it, although it could be lucrative under the right conditions.

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
Wow. I did not know that. That's horrible.
It is. In 2015 the Virginia Supreme Court shut down an attempt to change it. It’s hard to see how the hell its constitutional

Maybe now that it a problem for a rich white guy things will change

Reactions: 3 people

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
Just saw on CNN the judge has granted the Manafort’s request to delay. It will now start July 31.

I was surprised it was starting so soon in the first place.

Also, the witness list should be released today

Reactions: 1 person