Mandatory organ donation

Jun 2011
In a better place than u
Should we have it? Thousands die every year for lack of a donor. In Britain, i think it's mandatory, in Portugal, it's mandatory...in Britain I beleive it's mandatory while you're still alive. If someone needs a kidney / or part of a liver (livers regenerate) and your number comes up, you get a visit from 2 healthcare workers. You must submit to surgery to remove the needed organ.
Should we do this, or is it govt. intrusion?

Nov 2010
Should we have it? Thousands die every year for lack of a donor. In Britain, i think it's mandatory, in Portugal, it's mandatory...in Britain I beleive it's mandatory while you're still alive. If someone needs a kidney / or part of a liver (livers regenerate) and your number comes up, you get a visit from 2 healthcare workers. You must submit to surgery to remove the needed organ.
Should we do this, or is it govt. intrusion?
Organ donation should be opt out, not opt in. If you don't opt out, you are an organ donor. In a realistic world with rational people, having it mandatory would be the way to go. But we have irrational humans with ridiculous religious beliefs or other rituals

Jun 2014
United States
In Britain, i think it's mandatory, in Portugal, it's mandatory...in Britain I beleive it's mandatory while you're still alive. If someone needs a kidney / or part of a liver (livers regenerate) and your number comes up, you get a visit from 2 healthcare workers. You must submit to surgery to remove the needed organ.

I suspect that you are confusing a fictional movie that you've seen with actual policy in the UK.

Back to your original question, I would be opposed to mandatory organ donation.

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2014
United States
Organ donation should be opt out, not opt in. If you don't opt out, you are an organ donor. In a realistic world with rational people, having it mandatory would be the way to go. But we have irrational humans with ridiculous religious beliefs or other rituals

My opposition has nothing to do with religious beliefs or rituals. I am opposed, on principle, to my government taking ownership of my body.

Reactions: 6 people
Jun 2014
United States

BTW: I'd have no opposition to opt-out vs. opt-in.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I wouldn't back a "mandatory" organ donation proposal, but I could back the switch to an opt-out system.

Jun 2014
United States
Mandatory organ donation isn't "donation". It is harvesting. If your organ(s) are going to be harvested against your will to be used in a for profit medical procedure, then you (or your family) should be financially compensated for the value of the organ(s).

There is also moral jeopardy to be considered when a person is near death due to an accident and doctors have to decide whether to attempt to revive that person, or to harvest their organs to be used to save someone who has a better chance of survival after surgery.

Reactions: 3 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
NO to mandatory organ donation, for reasons already well-stated by Nightswimmer and others.

The obverse question is: Should we ALLOW poor individuals to sell a kidney (for example) on the open market?