Mankind? I Don't Think So!!

Jan 2016
Colorado
I am currently reading the book Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, a book that it seems MANY people are reading these days. And I came across the following rather gruesome paragraph in his discussion of the Agricultural Revolution and the domestication of animals:

"In many New Guinean societies, the wealth of a person has traditionally been determined by the number of pigs he or she owns. To ensure that the pigs can't run away, farmers in northern New Guinea slice off a chunk of each pig's nose. This causes severe pain whenever the pig tries to sniff. Since the pigs cannot find food or even find their way around without sniffing, this mutilation makes them completely dependent on their human owners. In another area of New Guinea, it has been customary to gouge out pigs' eyes, so that they cannot even see where they are going."

Before anyone objects that this kind of barbarity is only found in remote places like New Guinea, I should point out that authorities in Denver this past week found a cat that someone had apparently taken some pleasure in stoning to death, and are now looking for the perpetrator, although this will presumably be a hard crime to solve. The cat was someone's pet.

Sometimes I hate my fellow human beings.

Sorry.

Jan 2016
Colorado
So, are you questioning whether our practices have evolved at all in that comparison?
I guess I wouldn't go that far, because there is, in fact, an organized animal rights movement today, as you well know, and many people are even URGENTLY trying to develop synthetic meat, so that we can move away from our LONG practice of killing animals to get the meat that we crave.

OTOH, we still have rodeos and, in some places, circuses, which I view as organized animal cruelty. So, shrug, it's a mixed bag.

Mar 2019
California
I am currently reading the book Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, a book that it seems MANY people are reading these days. And I came across the following rather gruesome paragraph in his discussion of the Agricultural Revolution and the domestication of animals:

"In many New Guinean societies, the wealth of a person has traditionally been determined by the number of pigs he or she owns. To ensure that the pigs can't run away, farmers in northern New Guinea slice off a chunk of each pig's nose. This causes severe pain whenever the pig tries to sniff. Since the pigs cannot find food or even find their way around without sniffing, this mutilation makes them completely dependent on their human owners. In another area of New Guinea, it has been customary to gouge out pigs' eyes, so that they cannot even see where they are going."

Before anyone objects that this kind of barbarity is only found in remote places like New Guinea, I should point out that authorities in Denver this past week found a cat that someone had apparently taken some pleasure in stoning to death, and are now looking for the perpetrator, although this will presumably be a hard crime to solve. The cat was someone's pet.

Sometimes I hate my fellow human beings.

Sorry.
Funny Y'all mention that. I think Hunting is a cowardly "Sport". What Sport is it to drygulch a deer? Or blow away a Mallard? I like shooting at targets. Not anything living.

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
Funny Y'all mention that. I think Hunting is a cowardly "Sport". What Sport is it to drygulch a deer? Or blow away a Mallard? I like shooting at targets. Not anything living.

I see it differently, Grocery Shoppers just pay an assassin... Hunters do their own killing.

FYI, much more healthy lifestyle than processed meats.