Mankind? No, Man Cruel.

Jan 2016
Colorado
The majestic African elephant, the largest living terrestrial animal, is probably headed for extinction within the next few decades, because of stupid and ignorant people. This is rather shocking and disturbing, poaching on a scale not seen before:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/africa/botswana-elephant-poaching-intl/index.html

Humans are already responsible for the extinction of NUMEROUS species of the once very diverse elephant family.

Jul 2014
midwest
The majestic African elephant, the largest living terrestrial animal, is probably headed for extinction within the next few decades, because of stupid and ignorant people. This is rather shocking and disturbing, poaching on a scale not seen before:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/africa/botswana-elephant-poaching-intl/index.html

Humans are already responsible for the extinction of NUMEROUS species of the once very diverse elephant family.
And, it's all about one thing: money.

As usual.

M O N E Y

Jul 2014
midwest
Not really. Humans were exterminating species of elephants LONG before money was even invented.
Really.

I am referring to the specific case you mentioned in the first four words of the first post in this thread.

In present day.

And, it's all about one thing.

M O N E Y

Jan 2016
Colorado
Really.

I am referring to the specific case you mentioned in the first four words of the first post in this thread.

In present day.

And, it's all about one thing.

M O N E Y
We're arguing at cross-purposes. Yes, money may explain the poaching of African elephants that is going on today. It does NOT explain the dozens of species of elephants that were previously driven into extinction with humans accelerating the process. Money had NOTHING to do with the extinction of the woolly mammoth, I assure you. And that's just one example.

May 2012
By the wall
The law of nature, if you can't adapt you will go extinct.

Humans are just another species on the planet so anything we do is as natural as ants building a colony.

Some species adapt very well, in fact, some actually rely on humans for their survival while others have learned to live in harmony with us.

Scientists say that between 150 and 200 animals plants and mammals go extinct every day so I'm curious why you are only concerned with elephants.

Jul 2014
midwest
We're arguing at cross-purposes. Yes, money may explain the poaching of African elephants that is going on today. It does NOT explain the dozens of species of elephants that were previously driven into extinction with humans accelerating the process. Money had NOTHING to do with the extinction of the woolly mammoth, I assure you. And that's just one example.
Don't remember you mentioning the "wolley mammoth" in the OP.

Of course now that you're dancing...

Jan 2016
Colorado
Don't remember you mentioning the "wolley mammoth" in the OP.

Of course now that you're dancing...
THIS was in the OP: Humans are already responsible for the extinction of NUMEROUS species of the once very diverse elephant family.

Now, tell us: Are you so IGNORANT that you don't understand that the woolly mammoth was a member of the elephant family?

Jan 2016
Colorado
THIS was in the OP: Humans are already responsible for the extinction of NUMEROUS species of the once very diverse elephant family.

Now, tell us: Are you so IGNORANT that you don't understand that the woolly mammoth was a member of the elephant family?
The Asian elephant, by the way, is the closest living relative of the woolly mammoth, and there is a remote possibility that we MIGHT be able to 'resurrect' the woolly mammoth, i.e., bring it BACK from extinction:

Woolly mammoth - Wikipedia

There were dwarf mammoths living on the remote Arctic island, Wrangel Island, until humans arrived there, ~2700 BC, about the same time the Egyptians were getting busy building their great pyramids. They would have been tasty meals for those first human colonists, and easy prey, since the poor dwarf mammoths would have never even SEEN humans before, and would have had no idea how dangerous we were. The fate of MANY animals as humans colonized the world.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Money was invented long before the woolly mammoth went extinct.