Mankind? No, Man Cruel.

Jul 2014
midwest
THIS was in the OP: Humans are already responsible for the extinction of NUMEROUS species of the once very diverse elephant family.

Now, tell us: Are you so IGNORANT that you don't understand that the woolly mammoth was a member of the elephant family?
Still dancing?

OK, I'll play.

I'd prefer mankind to work on the extinction of mosquitos and cockroaches.

And houseflies.

Leave them poor elephants alone.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
The Asian elephant, by the way, is the closest living relative of the woolly mammoth, and there is a remote possibility that we MIGHT be able to 'resurrect' the woolly mammoth, i.e., bring it BACK from extinction:

Woolly mammoth - Wikipedia

There were dwarf mammoths living on the remote Arctic island, Wrangel Island, until humans arrived there, ~2700 BC, about the same time the Egyptians were getting busy building their great pyramids. They would have been tasty meals for those first human colonists, and easy prey, since the poor dwarf mammoths would have never even SEEN humans before, and would have had no idea how dangerous we were. The fate of MANY animals as humans colonized the world.
If that is true, then why can't we do the same with elephants? Before they go extinct, I mean.

Anyway, I think trading in ivory should get you a life sentence. These elephants are being killed for their tusks, and it's the very wealthy that buy this crap.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
If that is true, then why can't we do the same with elephants? Before they go extinct, I mean.

Anyway, I think trading in ivory should get you a life sentence. These elephants are being killed for their tusks, and it's the very wealthy that buy this crap.
And restore elephant's native habitat in the circus.

Jan 2016
Colorado
That's the ticket.

Declare victory and get out.

Just like the USA in Vietnam, eh?
You're the poster who apparently didn't realize that mammoths belong to the elephant family. Just what did you think mammoths WERE, anyhow?!?

Jul 2014
midwest
You're the poster who apparently didn't realize that mammoths belong to the elephant family. Just what did you think mammoths WERE, anyhow?!?
If you think that and that makes you happy, then OK by me...

You really should declare victory and get out while you're still behind...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
This is why Russia now has a whole Federal Agency for Protection of Nature, whose heavily armed personnel guard natural reserves in Siberia and other places

One of few things Putin has done right IMHO

Scum who shoot animals for no fucking reason very much deserve a bullet themselves...

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
This is why Russia now has a whole Federal Agency for Protection of Nature, whose heavily armed personnel guard natural reserves in Siberia and other places

One of few things Putin has done right IMHO

Scum who shoot animals for no fucking reason very much deserve a bullet themselves...
Woolly mammoth poaching is a problem in Siberia?