Many Americans Say Made-Up News Is a Critical Problem That Needs To Be Fixed

Do you think the MSM in this Country will ever regain the credibility it once had?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no such thing as fake news

• I'm addicted to fake news and don't care

• Total voters
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Politicians viewed as major creators of it, but journalists seen as the ones who should fix it

Many Americans say the creation and spread of made-up news and information is causing significant harm to the nation and needs to be stopped, according to a new Pew Research Center survey of 6,127 U.S. adults conducted between Feb. 19 and March 4, 2019, on the Center’s American Trends Panel.

Indeed, more Americans view made-up news as a very big problem for the country than identify terrorism, illegal immigration, racism and sexism that way. Additionally, nearly seven-in-ten U.S. adults (68%) say made-up news and information greatly impacts Americans’ confidence in government institutions, and roughly half (54%) say it is having a major impact on our confidence in each other.

U.S. adults blame political leaders and activists far more than journalists for the creation of made-up news intended to mislead the public. But they believe it is primarily the responsibility of journalists to fix the problem. And they think the issue will get worse in the foreseeable future.

Many Americans Say Made-Up News Is a Critical Problem That Needs To Be Fixed

This is an interesting study with over 6,000 sampled.

I think fake news is definitely a problem in this Country and part of the reason Trump was elected to the White House.

I think the fake news MSM will continue to double down on fake and this will continue to hurt the Left when it comes to elections.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
There has been a severe erosion of journalistic ethics over my lifetime. Walter Krondike would not recognize our media today.

However, it's all on us. We lack the demand for investigative journalism and actual thought-provoking writing, preferring tweets and emojis.

If you want things to get better, use your dough and your time to support a news magazine you find sufficiently ethical.

Not sure which to recommend, me. General interest magazines and newspapers are necessary but not always truly informative.

Longreads Best of 2018: Investigative Reporting

10 Investigative Reporting Outlets to Follow

We must make a market for the type of journalism we CLAIM to crave.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
There has been a severe erosion of journalistic ethics over my lifetime. Walter Krondike would not recognize our media today.

However, it's all on us. We lack the demand for investigative journalism and actual thought-provoking writing, preferring tweets and emojis.

If you want things to get better, use your dough and your time to support a news magazine you find sufficiently ethical.

Not sure which to recommend, me. General interest magazines and newspapers are necessary but not always truly informative.

Longreads Best of 2018: Investigative Reporting

10 Investigative Reporting Outlets to Follow

We must make a market for the type of journalism we CLAIM to crave.
We have information overload these days. We can get news even getting email today. Its everywhere and a lot of it is false or misleading. We no long have the nightly news where we sit for an hour and its done. Its going to be really hard to "fix" as we are global now with the internet. We also have to hold ourselves accountable and take responsibility. If we see something here on PH and we believe it without fact checking and go vote based on it, then we have ourselves to blame.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
We have information overload these days. We can get news even getting email today. Its everywhere and a lot of it is false or misleading. We no long have the nightly news where we sit for an hour and its done. Its going to be really hard to "fix" as we are global now with the internet. We also have to hold ourselves accountable and take responsibility. If we see something here on PH and we believe it without fact checking and go vote based on it, then we have ourselves to blame.
Particularly if we quote the Unreliable Narrator in the white house!