March Madness Is Here!!

Jan 2016
Colorado
The Gaels slow the ball down something terrible. St. Mary's and Gonzaga is actually a pretty good rivalry.
Yeah, I knew that! Some years, St. Mary's has had a really good team. Not sure they were going to get in the NCAA tournament this year without winning the WCC tournament, though. A LOT of lower-seeded teams are winning the conference tournaments so far. That's not good for teams on the bubble.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
Jan 2016
Colorado
Next four days are College Basketball Heaven! So many games today!

Colorado is kind of a hot team in the woeful Pacific Twelve Conference lately, taking on Oregon State in a quarterfinal game today. The PAC-12 Conference is considered wide open suddenly, since regular season champion Washington has been struggling lately. If Washington does manage to win the tournament, this might be a one-bid conference! But I'm hoping the Buffs can fight their way through, and win three games in three days.

Iowa has NOT been a hot team lately. They WERE 21-6 only a few weeks ago, and looking to get into the top ten. Instead, they have lost four games in a row, and have probably dropped to a 9 or 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. They play bottom feeder Illinois (12-20) in a Big Ten game today, and I certainly hope Iowa can get back on track and get a win and end their ugly losing streak. If they do win and go 22-10, they will advance to play Michigan tomorrow.....who they beat just before going on their losing streak.....

In the Big Ten and SEC tournaments, the top four teams don't play until tomorrow. But in the ACC and Big Twelve tournaments, the Big Dogs are in action today. For example, Virginia, now the top team in the nation at 28-2, will be taking on N. Carolina State (22-10) in just about five minutes here. In what should be a GOOD game, Florida State (25-6) will be taking on Virginia Tech (24-7). North Carolina (26-5) vs Louisville (20-12) and then Duke (26-5) vs Syracuse (20-12) will round out the ACC action. Some have suggested as many as THREE ACC teams might get number 1 seeds in the NCAA tournament. That would be unprecedented.

The really good games in the Big Twelve tournament won't occur until we get to the semi-finals tomorrow. But the first game today, Baylor (19-12) vs Iowa State (20-11) seems like an evenly matched game.....

Jan 2016
Colorado
The teams I MOST wanted to win yesterday DID! Colorado whomped Oregon State in the first half and then held on for a win, and will be taking on first seed Washington today in a PAC-12 semi-final. I like the Buffaloes chances, because as one writer in the Denver Post said, Washington has been holding on to the number one seed as if it was a wet bar of soap. They haven't been scaring anyone lately, and 8-seed Southern Cal almost dumped them yesterday. Go Buffs!

And Iowa got a cathartic win against an inferior Illinois team, ending a sickening four-game losing streak. Their win is so far the only rout in the Big Ten tournament, every other game has been within 8 points. The Hawkeyes will take on 2 seed Michigan today, who they beat just a few weeks ago in their only meeting of the year. They seem to match up well against Michigan, so again I like their chances to advance, although Michigan is (obviously) a hard hard team to beat, as they've only lost 5 games all year.

Two HUGE ACC semi-finals today: Virginia (29-2) vs Florida State (26-6), and North Carolina (27-5) vs Duke (27-5). Those are four of the best teams in the country, right there.

Big East semi-finals today will PROBABLY lead to a good Villanova vs Marquette championship tomorrow. In the Big Twelve, Kansas State (25-7) vs Iowa State (21-11) should be a very good game in one semi-final, and Kansas (24-8) should be able to handle West Virginia (14-19) in the other. The Mountaineers upset Texas Tech last night, but their joyride probably ends today.

Gonna ZONE OUT on college basketball ALL DAY today!

Jul 2011
Tennessee
Tennessee was down 72-64 with 2:58 to go in the game. Out scores Kentucky 18-6 to win 82-78.

They will play Auburn for the SEC tournament championship Sunday at 1pm.

I believe if Tennessee wins they will get a #1 seed.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Tennessee was down 72-64 with 2:58 to go in the game. Out scores Kentucky 18-6 to win 82-78.

They will play Auburn for the SEC tournament championship Sunday at 1pm.

I believe if Tennessee wins they will get a #1 seed.
If Tennessee beats Auburn tomorrow----and they should-----I think they SHOULD be a #1 seed. Whether they actually WILL be is a different question, though. I am still hearing a lot of people saying the ACC will get THREE teams in as #1 seeds: Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina, and then they are still penciling in Gonzaga as the 4th #1 seed. Then they have Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State, and Kentucky as the four #2 seeds. But as for ME, I would put Tennessee ahead of Gonzaga, given their regular season win over the Zags, and given that this is presuming Tennessee wins their conference tournament.....which Gonzaga failed to do.

And for that matter, I am also not so sure the winner of tomorrow's titanic game between Michigan and Michigan State does not deserve a #1 seed....Right now, Michigan looks like a juggernaut. Michigan State could be running into a buzz-saw tomorrow, and I say that knowing that the Spartans beat them twice in the regular season. Michigan has won 10 straight Big Ten conference tournament games, an all-time record, and they are going for their 3rd consecutive tournament championship, which would also be a record. That team got all the way to the national championship game last year before falling to Villanova. After watching what they have done to Minnesota and Iowa the last two nights, I am thinking they just might be the team to cut down the nets this year. Their defense is ferocious.

Jan 2016
Colorado
ESPN's Bracketology prediction (updated today) has...

#1's:
Duke
Virginia
North Carolina
Gonzaga

#2's:
Michigan
Tennessee
Michigan State
Kentucky

Bracketology with Joe Lunardi
Tennessee certainly lost ANY chance at a #1 seed by falling HARD to Auburn in the SEC Championship.

But I say the winner of the titanic tilt between Michigan and Michigan State coming up here in just a bit SHOULD be a #1 seed, OVER Gonzaga. Most people think the Big Ten has been the toughest conference in the country, top to bottom, this year. Stands to reason that the team that comes out on top should be a #1 seed. If Gonzaga had won its conference tournament, I would not hold this opinion. But they didn't.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Tennessee certainly lost ANY chance at a #1 seed by falling HARD to Auburn in the SEC Championship.

But I say the winner of the titanic tilt between Michigan and Michigan State coming up here in just a bit SHOULD be a #1 seed, OVER Gonzaga. Most people think the Big Ten has been the toughest conference in the country, top to bottom, this year. Stands to reason that the team that comes out on top should be a #1 seed. If Gonzaga had won its conference tournament, I would not hold this opinion. But they didn't.
I agree and what ESPN has posted now is based on, as it only can be, the current landscape.

One interesting thing about Gonzaga this year is that as far as where they'll play it doesn't matter if they're seeded a number one or a number two. As the only team from the west of the top six teams, they'll get to play out west in the first two rounds this year whether they're a number one or number two seed. If there'd been another top west team to garner a number one above them, they'd have been moved out of the region to a different part of the country.