Market reacts to Royal Dutch Shell announcement on lowering carbon footprint

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Early this morning my time it was announced that:

Royal Dutch Shell, under pressure from activist investors, said Monday it will begin setting short-term carbon emissions goals for its products and link the targets to executive pay.

The big picture: "Shell will set the target each year, for the following three- or five-year period. The target setting process will start from 2020 and will run to 2050," Shell said in a statement Monday.

I expected the stock to tank today. Most of my other oil stocks are dropping. But Shell went up 3%.

Are investors starting to see the long term benefits of an environmentally responsible company?

The original source is the Financial Times but it's behind a paywall. I got this from the Axios morning Energy Newsletter.

Jan 2014
California
Early this morning my time it was announced that:

Royal Dutch Shell, under pressure from activist investors, said Monday it will begin setting short-term carbon emissions goals for its products and link the targets to executive pay.

The big picture: "Shell will set the target each year, for the following three- or five-year period. The target setting process will start from 2020 and will run to 2050," Shell said in a statement Monday.

I expected the stock to tank today. Most of my other oil stocks are dropping. But Shell went up 3%.

Are investors starting to see the long term benefits of an environmentally responsible company?

The original source is the Financial Times but it's behind a paywall. I got this from the Axios morning Energy Newsletter.
Mr. RNG,

That story is not even on the radar. Oil stocks rallied because oil was up.

And Royal Dutch Shell ended up only up 2%. Chevron was up 1.75%, Exxon Mobile was up over 2%, British Petroleum was up 2%, and Conoco Phillips was up 4%. The only company not up was Phillips 66.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Mr. RNG,

That story is not even on the radar. Oil stocks rallied because oil was up.

And Royal Dutch Shell ended up only up 2%. Chevron was up 1.75%, Exxon Mobile was up over 2%, British Petroleum was up 2%, and Conoco Phillips was up 4%. The only company not up was Phillips 66.
Not as of this morning. But my point stands that I was expecting a significant drop and that didn't happen at all.