Martial Artists: Let’s Talk

Dec 2018
Florida
I’ve done a few martial arts myself. So I’m curious who out there does it? Especially on the regular. What types? How many times a week? What is your primary art? How do you feel about other arts? Got advice? WANT advice? Got kids involved? Girlfriend? Recruiting questions? Tournaments? I’m considering this a general topic where we can talk about it at length.

Oh yea. I do BJJ/Judo. I’ve mixed in some other stuff from time to time, but I’m extremely well versed in those (since 2010 with time off for injury ugh). My instructor is old school BJJ Black belt and is a coral belt (?) in Judo. He is straight from Brazil. I’m not 100% because his English isn’t GREAT, but he has explained it to me before Lol. My stand up game was excellent before my back injury. I’m hoping to some day recover enough to do it again. I loved mixing it up with big guys and throwing them when they had no idea it was coming.

Dec 2018
Florida
Something I don’t know much about is knife fighting. I’ve wanted to try kali for a bit, but I’m not sure of it. Knives scare the crap out of me. So it is a good reason to participate. But I don’t have much a striking game. It is all centered around wrapping someone up and throwing them. Or getting them the hell away from me so I can use my self defense tool (handgun).

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I've done Muay Thai since I was a kid, back in Russia. Highly recommend it. Taught me great striking techniques, using basically every part of your body: fists, elbows, knees, and feet, and in our school, we were taught how to headbutt properly too, forwards or backwards :D

We weren't doing a sports/gym version, but more of a street-fighting/no rules version, with all kinds of "dirty" moves thrown in, hits to the groin, throat, etc. Effective stuff for everyday self defence :)

I would say the only two martial arts systems equally good for real life scenarios (rather than for just showing off at the gym or in a movie lol) are Israeli Krav Maga and Russian Combat Sambo.

I got my own ass kicked pretty severely by a Sambo dude back in Moscow, in this little informal fight club we ran at our school at the time, I was around 15. I'd taken on other skilled guys before then, with my MT training: boxers, wrestlers, at least one who was a karate black belt already as a teenager too, believe it or not. Did great against all of them. Scored 4 KOs, at least, actually.

And then, came Pavel, the Sambo champ. Long story short, I came out of that one with a broken arm, dislocated shoulder on the other side, bruise on one half of my face and two missing teeth on other. And I did manage to give that motherfucker, in turn, a broken nose, equally big black eye and split lip, and I am pretty sure I cracked a rib on him too, with all the knees I landed in his mid-section (he did walk around with a body brace for a long time after our showdown, also :D)

They called it a raw, for us, in the end lol A lot of the guys wanted us to do a rematch later, but neither of us wanted to go through that shit again, and then, a year after that, I left for Canada anyhow. But, yeah, fun times... haha

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I've been a practitioner of Kenpo (Tracy's) for years now, and I like it immensely. I have also studied Hakkoryu Jujutsu (Similar to Aikido), and enjoyed that art as well.

I also did quite a bit of MMA (combination of Muay Thai / Catch Wrestling / Jujitsu) at the dojo, which helped me really understand more aspects of take down along with ground fighting. Really cool stuff IMO.

You mentioned Kali, which I also have a shared interest. My kids are half Filipino, so that is part of their culture / art that I think would be cool for them to know.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
My martial arts experience was very little. I took self defense called Jeet Kun Do. Which is a mix of anything that works for you. For about 7 months I took 2 sessions per week. Mostly drilling techniques. We did some knife fighting, knife disarms (good luck with that), gun disarms as well. And very light sparring occasionally.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I've been a practitioner of Kenpo (Tracy's) for years now, and I like it immensely.
I did that for several years. Had reached blue belt and was just starting to study for green when my back got so bad it took me out of the game entirely. :crying: It was a lot of fun and the techniques were actually routines featuring multiple techniques. And we included the dirty tricks too, which is why a cup was required equipment.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I did that for several years. Had reached blue belt and was just starting to study for green when my back got so bad it took me out of the game entirely. :crying: It was a lot of fun and the techniques were actually routines featuring multiple techniques. And we included the dirty tricks too, which is why a cup was required equipment.
Yeah it’s a really cool art. Hate to hear you got sidelined. I have had to take a couple breaks here and there a few times because life / $hit happens.
Nothing wrong with applying a dirty trick or two with a technique lol.
Martial arts can / is about deception sometimes :cool:

Reactions: The Man

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Yeah it’s a really cool art. Hate to hear you got sidelined.
Yeah, it really sucked. My back is only worse now ... I'd strain it too easily in the workouts.
Nothing wrong with applying a dirty trick or two with a technique lol.
Martial arts can / is about deception sometimes :cool:
Indeed. In a real-life fight, those are the best kinds, if one must defend oneself against attack.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Family classes at a local GracieJJ facility.

I may not be able to compete but I can sure make you cry "uncle".

Reactions: Akosikojak