Martyr?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
A few years back, a 19-year old Russian solder, Yevgeny Rodionov

was taken prisoner by rebels in Chechnya. He was later executed. According to certain accounts, they told him to tear off his Orthodox cross and convert to Islam and he refused, and so they shot him.

Since then, since 2005, a campaign had been going on for the Russian Orthodox Church to canonize him as a Martyr for the Faith.

Some, not waiting for the word from the Church, have already made their own icons of "Saint Martyr Warrior Yevgeny"

Hardline nationlist and Orthodox Christian fundamentalist groups now march with his icon

The Church still has not officially blessed this. But what do you guys think? Is it right to canonize this soldier as a Martyr?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Russian Teabaggers?
Sort of. Well, these particular ones are Orthodox Cross Bearers (Horugvenoscy)

Their leader is Leonid Simonovich-Nikshich

Half-Serb (on father's side) and scary Serb at that. Admires the Chetniks (Chetniks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), says Milosevic was a hero (and is close with the Milosevic family, who all live in Moscow, by the way). Hates gays. In fact, that is the Cross Bearers' #1 enemy, the gays.

In 2006, they smashed a gay rights rally in Moscow. There was a whole international scandal: a openly-gay German parliament member who was foolish enough to attend, in support of the Russian gay activists, was beaten to a bloody pulp by these guys... Merkel even said Russia was a 'barbaric' country after that. But, taht did not stop her from making all kinds of dirty, under the table, oil and other deals with Putin later lol

But they do other... interesting things too. Couple years back, for example, they decided that Harry Potter was a plot by "Western Satanists" to seduce Russian children into witchcraft and Godlessness and sin. So they held a rally in the middle of Moscow, where they burned HP books, and also smashed tapes and DVDs with baseball bats... I wish I could find a video of that. Pure entertainment... lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Another fine example that Islam is the religion of peace.
Well, it is a war. And, also, keep in mind, Russian Federal forces and Chechen loyalists did and still do plenty of arbitrary on site executions themselves...

Nov 2007
NE Wisconsin
Well, it is a war. And, also, keep in mind, Russian Federal forces and Chechen loyalists did and still do plenty of arbitrary on site executions themselves...
Killing someone because they won't convert to your religion goes a bit beyond collateral damage in war.

Reactions: wingrider
Sep 2007
the state of confusion
Killing someone because they won't convert to your religion goes a bit beyond collateral damage in war.
it isn't very often I agree with your posts but on this one you are spot on.. thank you

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
All I am saying is, both sides did and continue to do terrible things there. An old school friend of mine served in Chechnya. He witnessed and later told us about gruesome things that his own unit did there. Once, when a rebel sniper killed two soldiers in the unit, they all went to the village their commander thought the sniper came from. They rounded up everyone there. Some of the soldiers then proceeded to rape all the women, with the men watching, and killed them. Then, killed all the men. Then, all the children. My friend and several others who refused to participate in the raping and the executions after, were later severely beaten for it by the officers. Misha, my school buddy, still has nightmares about his time back there... And this is not an isolated incident. Other case: rebels hid up in the mountains, the government did not wnat to risk men's lives sending them into the caves; instead they sprayed poison gas all over that whole area. Filled the caves and all. Well, they killed the terrorists. But, this they do not talk about, the gas also covered three villages. Hundreds of innocent people, including little children, died horrible, excruciating deaths...

But, sure, on the other side, we have Beslan, Moscow theater, Metro bombings, Domodedovo, etc.

This is a extremely brutal, dirty war, where there are no nice guys on either side. Both have their hands soaked in blood, up to the armpits.

Reactions: Hollywood